Re: 400 Folkspraak roots, and a contribution... Zee

  • BriBri56@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 9, 1999
      If we use the English word for terms that haven't yet been coined into
      Folkspraak, maybe Folkspraakifying them, we could start spraakingFolkspraak
      quicklik.
    • Dan Dawes
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 9, 1999
        Hey, es wuld bi ein Beginnung.

        If we use the English word for terms that haven't yet been coined into
        Folkspraak, maybe Folkspraakifying them, we could start spraakingFolkspraak
        quicklik.

        Folkspraak Discussion List, http://www.langmaker.com/folksprk.htm
      • Dan Dawes
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 9, 1999
          Samstag Nacht Post deutsched Englisch vor viel Jahren. Es werken da. Warum
          nicht hier auch?

          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 9, 1999
            In a message dated 12/9/99 7:37:32 PM Pacific Standard Time, dawes@...
            writes:

            > Samstag Nacht Post deutsched Englisch vor viel Jahren. Es werken da. Warum
            > nicht hier auch?

            Der Samstag Naht Post deutched Englisk? Bin eksamplens in der Veb?
          • Dan Dawes
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 10, 1999
              Samstag Nacht Post ist kaput, so der ist no examples an der Veb. But, wer
              bin reittin zu each uder in der Languich. Es war kind uf ein jok in der
              Magazin.

              While we are speaking of international English, imagine if we approximated
              English with the German-like vowels and consonants, one vowel group on
              syllable, no silent letters, no "th" and entirely phonetic. It would sound
              a little different when spoken, but it would be understandable.

              " Ar Fader, hu art in Hevan, hallod bie dei Nem. Giv us dis De, ar delie
              Bred, end forgiv us ar Dets az whie forgiv ar Dettors. Lied us nat intu
              Temptashun, but dilivar us from Ieval. For dein is da pawar, and da glorie
              forevar."

            • TheJadeKnight@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 10, 1999
                In a message dated 12/9/1999 1:33:19 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                ailanto@... writes:

                << Agreed! Personally, I like the look of umlauts and graves and acutes,
                but they're such a pain every time I bump into a new context. Have to
                figure out all over again how to make a new proggie display properly
                (assuming, of course, that it's possible). At the same time (to
                contradict myself, sorta), I've also always felt that if the sound is
                different, there's no good reason to recycle an existing letter by
                adding a decoration to it. New sound... new letter. Which, of course,
                wouldn't help things as they are in the real world today. Anyway,
                realistically, everybody can do ASCII and always will (if they know
                what's good for them; there's *tons* of legacy files in the world), so
                lowestcommondenominatorwise, we oughtta stick with it. (I often use
                the -e- for umlauts in German, and use the -h- for Esperanto, but I
                don't really like those solutions.) >>

                I would prefer the ASCII letters . . . you see, I've got the ALT key
                combinations for most of them memorized, and I look up the ones I don't. I
                don't use programs. I also think they look better (at least in my opinion)
                than most (but not all) double vowels.
              • TheJadeKnight@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 10, 1999
                  In a message dated 12/9/1999 7:37:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                  dawes@... writes:

                  << Samstag Nacht Post deutsched Englisch vor viel Jahren. Es werken da.
                  Warum
                  nicht hier auch? >>

                  Do we have a dictionary anywhere where the English speakers can look up words
                  they have no clue about (like most of 'em)?
                • BriBri56@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 11, 1999
                    The most accessible set of on-line translating dictionaries is probably at
                    Travlang.com.

                    Also, bookmark Site O' Joel - he's done a great job of collecting translating
                    dictionaries at www.geocities.com/SoHo/8180/index.html.

                    If you want to type in or paste in a sentence or more in a foreign language,
                    then check out Babelfish's recommendations:

                    "Looking for Internet Translation Services?
                    These sites offer translation services:
                    Altavista site @ http://babelfish.altavista.com/
                    Systran Software @ http://www.systransoft.com
                    Infoseek @ http://translator.go.com
                    Dictionary.com @ http://www.dictionary.com/translate/ "

                    For about $30 you can get LanguageForce's "Standard Universal Translator"
                    CD-ROM software. It translates from English to any of 26 languages, and vice
                    versa. The databases for some languages are rather small, and it don't do no
                    grammar, but you can edit the word lists. I got it off an AOL banner ad, so I
                    can't tell you where else to hunt it down.
                  • Dan Dawes
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 13, 1999
                      This is really an Englishfied version of German, if the word does not
                      trigger an English association, you could find it in a German dictionary.
                      The real Saturday Evening Post German was the opposite, a Germanified
                      version of English, i.e. really 100% English which was just twisted to make
                      it look as if it were German to English readers. Germans would have more of
                      a problem with Saturday Evening Post German.