Let's Get This Group Moderated!

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
      This group is going to continue to go rotten unless we get some way to
      control the spammers and clear the junk that they have placed in the
      links and files sections.
      The moderator of this group, Geoffrey Henning has not been seen on
      this board for years and has either totally lost interest or is for
      all we know dead.

      We need a new moderator,

      Here is my plan of action to get it it moderated. I'll just go ahead
      and start this unilaterally unless I hear some active objectives.

      First. We hold a poll. The wording of the poll should be something
      like.
      "Should we replace the original moderator with an active member."
      1. Yes the new moderator should be <user name>
      2. No keep the status quo.

      If more than one person wants the moderator job, we could have more
      than one option, but I stress that this moderator's job should be
      interim only.

      Once we have held the poll and decided to make a change, the poll will
      give us some legitimacy for the next step.

      Second. We need to contact the Yahoo technical support team and make
      an impassioned plea for them to manually switch moderators to our
      elected interim moderator. I have already tried this last year but got
      no response.(I'll have to find the instructions on how to do this
      again) I've also tried to contact Jeffrey Henning directly with no
      response. But I think that if as many interested members as possible
      write to Yahoo with the same request, presenting a united front,
      maybe, just maybe we will get noticed. So we all write something like
      "the Folkspraak group is festering under the weight of spammers and
      the current moderator has disappeared. We've voted for a new
      moderator. Please make <user name> a new moderator"

      Third. If Yahoo! tech support ever hear our pleas, one of us will
      become the interim moderator of Folkspraak. His or her first action
      should be to change at least 1 other member into a moderator. That
      way, if he/she drops dead or wanders off never to be seen again, the
      other moderator can still create a successor and we won't be stuck
      again in the current f**ked situation.

      With moderators in place we can clean out all the off-topic links and
      and files (and maybe delete files older than a certain age, or
      re-organise them) AND TERMINATE WITH EXTREME PREJUDICE THE MEMBERSHIP
      OF karine988!!!

      So come on please, anybody still interested, help me out with this.
      Even if you've given up on this project altogether, do a favor for
      those who remain and vote in the poll, write a letter to Yahoo!.

      I'll wait until the end of the 8th of February and then, if no one
      else comes forward with a better suggestion or objection, I'll create
      the poll above with me (David Parke -- parked71) as the proposed
      moderator. I must stress that this is not some sort of grab at power
      for me and that the position is for an INTERIM moderator. I don't
      particularly want such a job, I just want the pleasure of deleting the
      membership of spammers and possibly getting them banned from Yahoo!

      Regards to all,

      David Parke
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 5, 2009
        Good plan, David, but do you think it will work? I mean: will Yahoo
        react?
        And can't we already contact this Yahoo technical support team, and
        ask them to ban the spammers?

        BTW, when you'd become the moderator of FS, what will happen with
        Frenkisch? Isn't Frenkisch actually your own FS with another name?

        Chamavian / Ingmar

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
          Well Yahoo didn't react when I tried a few months ago. So all we can
          really hope for is that if A LOT of members complain about the same
          thing and we have an elected Moderator-in-Waiting then maybe something
          will get done. Let's see if we can make ourselves annoying.

          It would be nice if non longer active members, who've given up on this
          project could still spare the 5-10 minutes to write such letters. I know
          there are still some lurking, who post ever so rarely. I myself aren't
          interested in posting much on the group, when it looks like a house
          that's had drug addicts squatting in it. Even if you no longer care for
          this project, please, please do us a favour and help us out.

          Short of that, I don't have any other ideas, apart from abandoning this
          list and starting a new one. Maybe if we moved to a new list, we could
          post a "Folkspraak has Moved" notice on this list every so often. We'd
          need to do it frequently enough that it would not get buried under spam.
          It would be a pity to move though, there are over 12000 posts on this
          list, full of stimulating discussion. We wouldn't be able to take them
          with us.

          I see Frenkisch as a side project to FS. Frenkisch is meant to be more
          naturalistic than FS. Frenkisch is more useful for appearing in works of
          fiction (films, books etc) and as a sample/demonstrator language to
          teach students about natural Germanic language. If FS is meant to be
          used purely for practical communication, then it has need to be simpler
          to learn than Frenkisch.
          My current state-of-the-art FS has a simpler phonology and orthography
          than Frenkisch. It is also more open to change and simplification. Not
          change as a living language, but improvement as a language still under
          construction.
          The phonology of FS is far more like your MS.
          eg Frenkisch "haus" [haUs] = FS hus [hu:s]. Frenkisch myn [maIn] = FS
          min [mi:n].

        • jorcaiba
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
            Hello, I don't know if this action will work, but members should try
            it at least. I personaly haven't taken much part in the discussions,
            but I think FS is a very interesting project, and I suppose that it
            should carry on on the basis of what has already been discussed here.
            Which e-mail adress should we, members, send the petition?
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2009
              --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "jorcaiba" <jorcaiba@...> wrote:

              > Hello, I don't know if this action will work, but members should try
              > it at least. I personaly haven't taken much part in the discussions,
              > but I think FS is a very interesting project, and I suppose that it
              > should carry on on the basis of what has already been discussed here.
              > Which e-mail adress should we, members, send the petition?

              It's a bit more complicated than simply an email address. There is a
              web page with a request form for technical assistance. The form needs
              to be filled out.
              When we've held the poll (which I will be creating in about 48 hours
              from now), I'll put up some instructions with screen grabs to show
              what to do. At the moment, I don't remember it exactly myself.

              I'll be putting myself down as the proposed interim moderator on the
              poll.
              It is possible to have more than one moderator.
              If anybody else wants to do it, or strongly objects to only me being
              on there, Please, please please raise your voice before then. If
              anyone came forward and said, "NO Mr Parke must not do this job
              because I am more capable/trustworthy/good-looking", I'd happily put
              that member into the proposed poll instead.

              I proposed that the poll run for one week and I propose that the
              wording of the poll be:

              The current moderators and owners of the Folkspraak Yahoo! Group
              appear to have ceased to take an interest in this group. They have not
              played an active role in moderation for several years. Because of
              this, the group has a serious problem with spammers and other
              off-topic posters.
              Should the current members approach Yahoo Technical Support and
              request that group member, David Parke (Yahoo! user name parked71) be
              made an interim moderator?

              1. Yes. David Parke (parked71) should be made interim moderator.
              2. No. Retain the status quo.
            • Evert Mouw
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
                Go ahead. You have my full support.
                Evert
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Mine too.

                  Ingmar

                  --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Evert Mouw <yahoo@...> wrote:

                  > Go ahead. You have my full support.
                  > Evert

                • jorcaiba
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
                    I'm surprised to see that yahoo has accepted the proporsal.
                    Congratulations!