Re: To "be-" or not to "be-"?

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
      Takk for alle Welkomm, en diine answorde (<- as made up as could be ;)

      I gave the issue a second thought, and finally have to agree with all
      of you.
      Although the meaning of "be-" in german is much more consistent than
      that of "zer-", "ver-", "ge-" or any other prefix you could think of,
      it is still to vague.
      So the method of including it into words that already have it in the
      majority of languages really seems to be the best way.
      About the "productivity" of the prefix in german (and swedish) I can
      only say, as soon as a bunch of germs or sweds would be really trying
      to use FS or MS for communicating, they would use such prefixes
      nonetheless, because it comes natural in their native languages. And I
      guess even language "designers" couldn't stop them from doing so - as
      soon as it's spoken, it's out of control :D
      So no general rule needed here.

      Thanks again for your answers!

      With best regards, C.