Re: "Some" Idea

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      Here an answer from a Dutch speaker:

      I'd say, use: "enig"

      enig folk, enig autos, enig appels...

      Dutch has "enig", German has "einig" etc. and Scandy probably "enig"
      as well.

      "Wat" as in "wat appels" is exclusively Dutch, so not a common form.

      Ingmar

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Peter Collier <petecollier@...>

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        Btw: in French it's "quelques", not de:

        Je mange quelques pommes = I eat some apples
        Je mange des pommes = I eat apples (des = plur. of de)

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2008
          Thanks for the suggestions, my proposal was a bit half-arsed (it was 2
          in the morning).

          I wasn't aware of the NL or SV cognates to EN some.
          I'm doubtful about enig. Sure there are lots of words like that in the
          Germanic languages (including EN any), but they don't seem to share much
          common meaning.

          "Sin frau gav him enig dochters."
          To me, this could just as easily mean, "his wife gave him some
          daughters" OR "his wife gave him only daughters. " OR "his wife gave him
          united daughters"

          Mind you in English, I think that "some" can be omitted most of the
          times that it is used and not change the meaning or be strictly
          ungrammatical.

          But having a particle like "some" is usefull for building words such as
          "somebody", "something", "somewhere" etc

          Being represented in ENglish, Dutch and Swedish is about enough for me
          to include a word, so maybe I'll adopt a word such as "sommig"