Re: felg = tyre is a false friend to Danes

    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 17, 2008
      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "nordslesviger" <nordslesviger@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@> wrote:
      > > I'd
      > > summarise the source language options as follows.
      > > EN tyre
      > > NL band/luchtband etc. Also "pneu" (is this rare?, specific to
      Belgium?)
      > > DE Reifen
      > > Scandy taek, tekk, täck etc (means covering or roof)
      > >
      > > So there is not a single common element shared between even 2 source
      > > language branches.
      >
      > In Danish we have tag for roof and tække for making a roof. But the
      > word for tyre is dæk. d not t.

      So tag and tække would be native Danish words, cognate to EN thatch.
      Dæk would be a borrowing from the Low German word of the same source
      -- borrowed into EN as "deck".

      > Anyway, in all cases where there isn't a common word I would suggest
      > to take the word from the source language with most speakers, because
      > that would be most easy for the greatest number of people. Inventions
      > like wylband would be difficult for all.

      By your criterion, we would be basing the FS word on EN tire/tyre. the
      issue with this would be whether or how to "Folksprakify" the word.

      I don't think "wylband" would be too difficult. What would you think
      it would mean if somebody spoke about a "hjulbande" in Danish? -- I'm
      sure you could figure it out. It would be more difficult if you had
      not first encountered "wyl" and "band" as independent words -- this
      would be more difficult for German speakers since that language has no
      cognate to EN wheel, NL wiel, DA/NO/SV hjul. (and Russian koleso!)
      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 25, 2008
        I am afraid I don't know that site... and I couldn't find it either.
        Anyway, I suppose that is not an "official" site about Folksprak, I
        guess it's by one of this group's ex members.

        But I consider this Yahoo group here as the only "real" site about
        Folksprak, the only place with a right to use that name and where the
        language should be developed, and the rest is no part of that and
        should not be seen as representative for the language.

        I admit it is confusing for newcomers and I think the people that
        aren't part of us should give their conlangs and sites different
        names than Folksprak or the like.

        So if I were you, I wouldn't use this kind of sites anymore. In our
        Files section you can find more useful things.

        I hope I gave right info here and did not offend any of our present
        members, because, as I told, I couldn't find the site that was
        mentioned by Masa Saitou

        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, Saitou Masakazu <smasakazu@...>