New file uploaded to folkspraak

  • folkspraak@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 755 , Apr 8 7:17 AM
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the folkspraak
      group.

      File : /vordenbuken/uberlist4002.xls
      Uploaded by : parked71 <parked@...>
      Description : FINALLY HIT 4000 WORDS! Latest version of my Folkspraak to English dictionary with 4002 entries. Cognates in source languages cited as evidence. Etymological information has been added for many entries. Note that cognate words in your language might not always agree exactly in meaning to the Folkspraak words. For example, FS "timmer" does not mean the same thing as German "Zimmer". Only the "English Translations" column is intended to give an accurate translation.

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      parked71 <parked@...>
    • Andrew Jarrette
      Message 755 of 755 , Dec 22, 2012
        Oh, I get it, "bernstone" = "amber", and therefore relates to electricity (the original meaning of Greek _elektron_, and like Icelandic <rafmagn> "electricity", literally "amber-power"), so "bernstonebit" is an electron.  Is "bern-" from Middle English _bernen_ "to burn"? Or something else? [oh, actually I looked up "Bernstein" in Kluge and found that "Bern-" is from Low German _bernen_ "brennen" and "Bernstein" refers to "Brennbares Baumharz"]