Re: TravLang Folksprak - new file

  • harrisro303
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 3, 2006
      David Parke <parked@...>

      Yes and don't forget if we are speaking FS in the USA we would say
      (SUBWAY) hihi! don't know about us always have to be different for
      some reason. If it's not Kilometers(Miles) for us, Meters (Inches) for
      us hihihi....
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 9, 2006
        --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "David Parke" <parked@...> wrote:

        > > SWANS: G Schwanz, NL staart, SW Svans
        >
        > Unfortunately DE "Schwanz" and SV/DA svans seem to be the only
        > cognates to this. There is no NL *zwans or EN *swance. Maybe FS
        swans
        > could be a slang word for penis instead of the primary meaning for
        tail.
        > I think something based on NL staart, SV stjärt, NO stjert, DA
        stjært
        > would be just as valid a word. Also there is DE Sterz, and EN
        start,
        > but they are archaic -- especially the EN word. DE Sterz, seems to
        be
        > current enough to be in my Deutsch-Interlingua Wörterbuch. And in
        > Websters Online German-English.
        > Leo translates Sterz as "parson's nose". This is the fatty
        extremity
        > of a fowl's rump. So I wonder how many average German-speakers
        would
        > know "Sterz". If it is still reasonably recognisable, then I think
        > "stert" would make a better FS word for EN tail.
        > To make matters more cloudy, Swedish has "tagel", cognate to EN
        tail,
        > but it is used only of horses hair (on a horse tail). My Short OED
        > states that DE has Zagel, but it is only dialectal usage.

        FS "Stert" is fine too for tail, and we can use "swans" for penis,
        like in German.

        Btw how does a German know whether one is talking about a horse's
        tail or a horse's penis? Are both called "Pferdeschwanz"?

        Btw 2: I never knew "tail" was a Germanic word from *tagel etc, I've
        always thought it was from French taille

        Champignon