14626RE: Preterite and corresponding participles

  • parked71
    Jan 1, 2014

      Sorry I don't get involved in Folkspreking much these days. Too many other projects and obligations. And this new Yahoo groups interface is too annoying.

      My counter proposal is always Preterite/past tense is -ede.

      Past/passive participles is always -ed.

      This may be less natural and often more lengthy but it resolves a number of issues, In short it is simpler. There's only one rule to learn. No worrying about whether to change from -d to -t when it's a voiced consonant in the stem. No worrying about adding an extra -e- when the stem ends in -d or -t. It's always the same. Also there's no need to worry about what adding a -de/-te does to the vowel of the stem, depending on what orthography system we use. Most orthography proposals I have seen and most real world Germanic languages have open/closed syllables where multiple consonants and doubled consonants indicated a short vowel. For example if we have a word like "make" (to make) and it has a long vowel. If we add -te to the stem for the past tense, then we have *makte. Now is the vowel of the stem still long or does it become short? If it's *makede, it's more obviously still long.

      Alternatively in my Frenkisch "diversion" from FS, I add -'de, but it can be pronounced as [d] or [t] depending on whether the stem-final consonant is voiced or unvoiced. No need to change the spelling to -t, you're natural inclination will be to change the pronunciation to [t] if necessary. So in Frenkisch, there is the verb "make" (to make). The past tense is "mak'de". ["mA:kt@]. The past tense of "blicke" (to look) is "blick'de" ["blIkt@]. The past tense of "sege" (to say) is "seg'de"

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic