14417Re: The Swedes have gone mad

  • joshua.shafer19
    Apr 3, 2012

      > Voici an article about a Swedish childrens' book writer who wants to promote a new gender neutral personal pronoun, next to he and she.

      > > http://www.thelocal.se/38992/20120208/

      I seriously doubt that gender specific pronouns have a serious impact on how we experience the world. If anything the affiliations of gender with inanimate objects have a negative impact on how important gender is to the native speaker, that is at least what I would expect. How important is gender when a turnip or toothbrush has it?

      "In 2011, a young boy in Jönköping was attacked for wearing pink and nail polish, which are perceived as female attributes. "

      It's funny that they give an example of a young boy being attacked for wearing nail polish which is a physical way of expressing gender in that culture, but assume that the event has some relation to pronoun gender. They make no logical connection. It is technically more accurate to have a gender neutral pronoun, but it doesn't make sense to assume that it has a biased impact on speakers.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic