14390Re: The Swedes have gone mad

    Feb 14, 2012
      Dutch fortunately doesn't have such a genderless pronoun.

      Hij/zij = he/she
      hem/haar = him/her
      zijn/haar = his/her

      But I'm much too happy that there's an opposite sex to long for
      an utral pronoun

      --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "swartsaxon" <anjarrette@...> wrote:When would such a pronoun be used? As a substitute for "he or she" (han eller hon), when the subject may be a male or a female? In such cases I think the adoption of a gender-neutral pronoun is justified, instead of the awkward phrase with 'or' or 'eller'. Note that in colloquial English one often uses 'they' 'them' 'their' to mean 'he or she', 'his or her', 'him or her', and this usage has even been accepted by some reputable grammarians. How does Dutch express this?

      > Andrew

      > > Voici an article about a Swedish childrens' book writer who wants to promote a new gender neutral personal pronoun, next to he and she.
      > >

      > > --- In folkspraak@yahoogroups.com, "chamavian" <roerd096@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > http://www.thelocal.se/38992/20120208/

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic