Haiti and the Dominican Republic: A Tale of Two Countries

  • Andrew Cutz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2010

      Haiti and the Dominican Republic: A Tale of Two Countries

      By Alexandra Silver Tuesday, January 19, 2010 (Time Magazine)

      Much of this difference is geographic. The mountains that lie across the island can cut off Haiti's rainfall. The northeast trade winds, and so the rain, blow in the Dominican Republic's favor.  Haiti's semiarid climate makes cultivation more challenging.  Deforestation — a major problem in Haiti, but not in its neighbor — has only exacerbated the problem.

      Read more at:
      http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1953959,00.html?xid=newsletter-weekly#ixzz0dfu0zdf7

      Markham, Ontario, Canada                                                                                                         Monday,  January 25, 2010

      Dear Friends,

      Many of us are following the news of the unprecedented devastation in Haiti.  A number of statesman and analysts had suggested that perhaps the underlining root cause of their many underling problems might be the deforestation of Haiti.  Although this is not my area of expertise, I found similar stories in China and Africa, and perhaps even here in Markham, Ontario... all pointing to our unsustainable practices making us much more vulnerable during a natural disaster or like catastrophic events.

      Please take time and read some of these inter-related stories (below) as posted over the last little while on the Global Village List.

      Sincerely,

      Andrew Cutz

      http://tinyurl.com/Global-Village-List  (on LinkedIn) NEW!

      'Think Globally, Act Locally'

      Hope in a Changing Climate

      Ontario Needs at Least One Billion More Trees

      Reforestation Project Aims to Empower Ethiopian Youth

      Amazon Native Leaders Assert Forest Stewardship for Climate Rescue

      Borneo Natives Proclaim Tropical Forest Reserve

      -20-