RE: [flexcoders] flex communication

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2007

      I was under the impression that in order to use RemoteObject one does need FDS. Given this (and another) answer and Mike’s requirement not having to rely on FDS, I am confused now.

      Can I conclude that RemoteObject RPC can be used without FDS?  I guess I got confused by what I read in chapter 45, “Using RPC components” of the devguide.

                                If you are using Flex Data Services, you have the option of connecting to RPC services

      directly or connecting to destinations defined in the services-config.xml file or a file that it

      includes by reference. A destination definition is a named service configuration that provides

      server-proxied access to an RPC service. A destination is the actual service or object that you

      want to call. A destination for a RemoteObject component is a Java object. A destination for

      an HTTPService component is a JSP page or another resource accessed over HTTP. A

      destination for a WebService component is a SOAP-compliant web service.

      Btw, because I was in the same situation I kind of rolled out my own approach of POST’ing XML back and forth using HTTPService to a servlet. Works well, but of course setting up the necessary infrastructure to keep it all maintainable will require a bit of work.

      Also, wrt to the Mike’s setup of planning to replace JSP with Flex I can only gently advice to rethink the architecture a bit. One should, at least I think, use Flex to implement a bigger chunk of the application logic on the client side (compared to what one typically does in jsp). That should result in less (granular) requests being sent to the server and that is after all how the rich(er) user experience can be implemented.

      Peter

      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2007
        > I was under the impression that in order to use RemoteObject one does need
        > FDS. Given this (and another) answer and Mikes requirement not having to
        > rely on FDS, I am confused now.

        You don't need FDS to use Flex Remoting.
        You do need something like ColdFusion, AMFPHP or WebOrb.

        http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/ (CF)
        http://amfphp.org/ (PHP)
        http://www.themidnightcoders.com/weborb/ (.NET/Java)

        regards,
        Muzak
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 9 , May 1, 2007

          That is interesting indeed.

          Would anyone have any experience with http://www.openamf.com/cms/ or other open source amf java implementations?

          Thanks,

          Peter

          > I was under the impression that in order to use RemoteObject one does need
          > FDS. Given this (and another) answer and Mikes requirement not having to
          > rely on FDS, I am confused now.

          You don't need FDS to use Flex Remoting.
          You do need something like ColdFusion, AMFPHP or WebOrb.

          http://www.adobe. com/products/ coldfusion/ (CF)
          http://amfphp. org/ (PHP)
          http://www.themidni ghtcoders. com/weborb/ (.NET/Java)

          regards,
          Muzak

        • Dimitrios Gianninas
          Message 4 of 9 , May 1, 2007
            You can also look at Granite Data Services:

            Dimitrios Gianninas
            Developer
            Optimal Payments Inc.

            > I was under the impression that in order to
            use RemoteObject one does need
            > FDS. Given this (and another) answer and
            Mikes requirement not having to
            > rely on FDS, I am confused
            now.

            You don't need FDS to use Flex Remoting.
            You do need something like ColdFusion, AMFPHP or WebOrb.

            http://www.adobe. com/products/ coldfusion/ (CF)
            http://amfphp. org/ (PHP)
            http://www.themidni ghtcoders. com/weborb/ (.NET/Java)

            regards,
            Muzak

            AVIS IMPORTANT

            WARNING

            Ce message électronique et ses pièces jointes peuvent contenir des renseignements confidentiels, exclusifs ou légalement privilégiés destinés au seul usage du destinataire visé. L'expéditeur original ne renonce à aucun privilège ou à aucun autre droit si le présent message a été transmis involontairement ou s'il est retransmis sans son autorisation. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire visé du présent message ou si vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez cesser immédiatement de le lire et le supprimer, ainsi que toutes ses pièces jointes, de votre système. La lecture, la distribution, la copie ou tout autre usage du présent message ou de ses pièces jointes par des personnes autres que le destinataire visé ne sont pas autorisés et pourraient être illégaux. Si vous avez reçu ce courrier électronique par erreur, veuillez en aviser l'expéditeur.

            This electronic message and its attachments may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information, which is solely for the use of the intended recipient. No privilege or other rights are waived by any unintended transmission or unauthorized retransmission of this message. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if you have received it in error, you should immediately stop reading this message and delete it and all attachments from your system. The reading, distribution, copying or other use of this message or its attachments by unintended recipients is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender.

          • vargomike
            Message 5 of 9 , May 1, 2007
              client side, I'll quickly give you my high level plan.

              I agree that the more I can implement in Flex, the better user
              experience. What I'm brainstorming is that my business rules are
              implemented on the server side using java. This includes, but not
              limited, to things like validation. Then, come up with a way to
              "generate" the business rules from java into action script and/or MXML.

              IMO, this benefits me in a number of ways:

              - I get the rich client using flex.
              - I can maintain my business rules in one central location, on my
              server side.
              - I can implement other user interfaces (mobile phone, jsp, applet,
              web service, etc.) and still have my business rules/logic on my server
              side.

              I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on my approach...

              - Mike

              > I was under the impression that in order to use RemoteObject one
              does need
              > FDS. Given this (and another) answer and Mike's requirement not
              having to
              > rely on FDS, I am confused now.
              >
              > Can I conclude that RemoteObject RPC can be used without FDS? I
              guess I got
              > confused by what I read in chapter 45, "Using RPC components" of the
              > devguide.
              >

              > If you are using Flex Data Services, you
              have the
              > option of connecting to RPC services
              >
              > directly or connecting to destinations defined in the
              services-config.xml
              > file or a file that it
              >
              > includes by reference. A destination definition is a named service
              > configuration that provides
              >
              > server-proxied access to an RPC service. A destination is the actual
              service
              > or object that you
              >
              > want to call. A destination for a RemoteObject component is a Java
              object. A
              > destination for
              >
              > an HTTPService component is a JSP page or another resource accessed over
              > HTTP. A
              >
              > destination for a WebService component is a SOAP-compliant web service.
              >

              > Btw, because I was in the same situation I kind of rolled out my own
              > approach of POST'ing XML back and forth using HTTPService to a servlet.
              > Works well, but of course setting up the necessary infrastructure to
              keep it
              > all maintainable will require a bit of work.
              >

              > Also, wrt to the Mike's setup of planning to replace JSP with Flex I can
              > only gently advice to rethink the architecture a bit. One should, at
              least I
              > think, use Flex to implement a bigger chunk of the application logic
              on the
              > client side (compared to what one typically does in jsp). That
              should result
              > in less (granular) requests being sent to the server and that is
              after all
              > how the rich(er) user experience can be implemented.
              >

              > Peter
              >

              > _____

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 9 , May 1, 2007

                I agree that the more I can implement in Flex, the better user
                experience. What I'm brainstorming is that my business rules are
                implemented on the server side using java. This includes, but not
                limited, to things like validation. Then, come up with a way to
                "generate" the business rules from java into action script and/or MXML.

                That would indeed be ideal…but far from trivial to design/implement.  I certainly would be interested in hearing more on how you intend to approach this.