Help Extending TabNavigator/ButtonBar

  • Ciarán
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 22, 2007
      Hi All,

      I've posted this to the flex forums as well. I'd like help with ideas
      on how to extend TabNavigator to include a "more" button, for when
      there are too many tabs.

      I'm a bit in the dark when it comes to depthy depths of the Flex
      framework, and need to make some interesting changes to a TabNavigator
      component in an application under development.

      In this case it's a single TabNavigator, but with a *lot* of tabs.
      Enough for them to be truncated down to the minimum (30 pixels or so),
      and just fit on the screen. The problem is with the squishy truncation
      part. I don't want that to happen.

      I want the tabs to match the width of the text on their respective
      titles. In addition to this, the final tab needs to be a "more" tab,
      which should "scroll across" in effect, revealing the remaining tabs.
      The button is prepended and the same effect achieved in reverse when
      the user wants to return to the tabs at the start.

      I'm looking at the Source for the ButtonBar right now, but I'm not
      getting very far in terms of understanding where to look. I know it
      sources buttons from it's dataProvider.

      Is it possible to draw these buttons offscreen and have them slide into view?

      That said, does anyone know a clever way of accomplishing this or know
      someplace I could look where it's already implemented?

      Any clues/hints/ideas would be much appreciated =)

      Best Regards,
      Ciarán
    • Jason Hawryluk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 22, 2007

        I'm working on a blog post for something similar, but more toward the way flex builder does it with a drop down at the end. Plus a bunch of other goodies. ;)

        I may have it up this week, need to finish this current post first, plus do some paying work. :)

        I'll also provide source.

        jason

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 22, 2007
          keep an eye out here http://flexibleexperiments.wordpress.com and on mxna

          jason

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 22, 2007
            Thanks Jason, would be a great help. Just subscribed to the feed. =)

            -Ciarán

            On 1/22/07, Jason Hawryluk <jh@...> wrote:

            > I'm working on a blog post for something similar, but more toward the way flex builder does it with a drop down at the end. Plus a bunch of other goodies. ;)
            >

            > I may have it up this week, need to finish this current post first, plus do some paying work. :)
            >

            > I'll also provide source.
            >

            > jason

          • Doug McCune
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 23, 2007
              I know Jason said he's going to be releasing a new TabNavigator component, but I couldn't resist trying my hand at it.

              Here's my enhanced TabNavigator: http://dougmccune.com/blog/2007/01/23/the-quest-for-the-perfect-tabnavigator/

              It uses existing code for closeable and draggable tabs, and adds in functionality for scrolling tabs if there are too many, and also displaying the drop-down list on the right side. No source code yet, but that will come in another day or two after I clean it up a bit.

              Jason, I'll be interested to see how you approach it...

              Ciarán wrote:

              Thanks Jason, would be a great help. Just subscribed to the feed. =)

              -Ciarán

              On 1/22/07, Jason Hawryluk <jh@...> wrote:

              > I'm working on a blog post for something similar, but more toward the way flex builder does it with a drop down at the end. Plus a bunch of other goodies. ;)
              >

              > I may have it up this week, need to finish this current post first, plus do some paying work. :)
              >

              > I'll also provide source.
              >

              > jason

            • Doug McCune
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 24, 2007
                Here's another update to the TabNavigator extension. Getting closer...

                http://dougmccune.com/blog/2007/01/25/the-quest-for-the-perfect-tab-navigator-part-2/

                Ciarán wrote:

                Thanks Jason, would be a great help. Just subscribed to the feed. =)

                -Ciarán

                On 1/22/07, Jason Hawryluk <jh@...> wrote:

                > I'm working on a blog post for something similar, but more toward the way flex builder does it with a drop down at the end. Plus a bunch of other goodies. ;)
                >

                > I may have it up this week, need to finish this current post first, plus do some paying work. :)
                >

                > I'll also provide source.
                >

                > jason

            • Jason Hawryluk
              Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                Bump...

                My version is now up with source for those that wish to have a look.

                Enjoy.

                Jason

                Ciarán wrote:

                Thanks Jason, would be a great help. Just subscribed to the feed. =)

                -Ciarán

                On 1/22/07, Jason Hawryluk <jh@...> wrote:

                > I'm working on a blog post for something similar, but more toward the way flex builder does it with a drop down at the end. Plus a bunch of other goodies. ;)
                >

                > I may have it up this week, need to finish this current post first, plus do some paying work. :)
                >

                > I'll also provide source.
                >

                > jason

              • dougmccune
                Message 8 of 8 , Feb 8, 2007
                  And I just posted my latest version of an extended TabNavigator with
                  the source.

                  http://dougmccune.com/blog/2007/02/07/quest-for-the-perfect-tabnavigator-part-3-with-source/

                  Doug

                  http://flexibleexperiments.wordpress.com/2007/02/05/flex-201-extending-the-t