What is the best way to dynamically load FlashPaper into a Flex panel

  • Vinny Timmermans
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi,

      I am looking for a smart way to dynamically load FlashPaper into a flex
      panel. So far I have used the following, very basic code

      AS:
      function loadDocument()
      {
      loadMovie("myFlashPaper.swf", _root.panelfp.canvasfp);
      }

      MXML:

      <mx:Form widthFlex="1" heightFlex="1">
      <mx:Button click="loadDocument()" id="getDocument" label="Get
      Document"/>
      <mx:Panel id="panelfp" label="flash paper document" widthFlex="1"
      heightFlex="1"/>
      <mx:Canvas id="canvasfp" widthFlex="1" heightFlex="1"/>
      </mx:Form>

      Does anyone of you have suggestions for a smarter, more flexible
      implementation (using HTTPService, improving the loadDocument function etc.
      etc.) to dynamically load FlashPaper movies into Flex.

      Thanks,

      Vinny
    • Dirk Eismann
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2004
        Of course you could go the loadMovie way but have you looked at the
        mx:Loader component?

        Dirk.

      • Vinny Timmermans
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 2, 2004
          I especially agree with Hans on the first use case (personalized document creation). If we could add a Rich Text Editor control we could provide large groups of customers with everything they need to create basic text documents (most employees don't need more than this) without the need of a MS Word license.

          Best,

          Vinny

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
            I'll second the Rich Text Editor control request!
            Definitely a must for RIA which handle a minimum of text content...

            Thanks.

            Benoit Hediard

            I especially agree with Hans on the first use case (personalized document creation). If we could add a Rich Text Editor control we could provide large groups of customers with everything they need to create basic text documents (most employees don't need more than this) without the need of a MS Word license.

            Best,

            Vinny

            Great requests, can you tell the specific use cases in which you would use these features?

            thanks,

            libby

            Enhancement request for a future version of Flex...  It would be great to see a set of FlashPaper tags and an associated API added to Flex that would allow a developer to interact with existing FlashPaper documents as well as generate FlashPaper documents using MXML (possibly using some of the technology announced for BlackStone).  Ideally I'd like to be able to print the contents of a container (or set of containers, for multiple pages) via a FlashPaper-like interface as well.  This would be really great with charting and reporting apps developed in Flex.

            I'd also like to see much tighter integration with Flash Communication Server via MXML, as well as the ability to embed Flex within Breeze interfaces and Breeze within Flex interfaces.

            Of course you could go the loadMovie way but have you looked at the
            mx:Loader component?

            Dirk.

          • Dimitrios Gianninas
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
              Agree with Vinny on the inclusion of the Rich Text Editor control :)

              Jimmy Gianninas - Developer
              Optimal Payments Inc.

              I especially agree with Hans on the first use case (personalized document creation). If we could add a Rich Text Editor control we could provide large groups of customers with everything they need to create basic text documents (most employees don't need more than this) without the need of a MS Word license.

              Best,

              Vinny

              Great requests, can you tell the specific use cases in which you would use these features?

              thanks,

              libby

              Enhancement request for a future version of Flex...  It would be great to see a set of FlashPaper tags and an associated API added to Flex that would allow a developer to interact with existing FlashPaper documents as well as generate FlashPaper documents using MXML (possibly using some of the technology announced for BlackStone).  Ideally I'd like to be able to print the contents of a container (or set of containers, for multiple pages) via a FlashPaper-like interface as well.  This would be really great with charting and reporting apps developed in Flex.

              I'd also like to see much tighter integration with Flash Communication Server via MXML, as well as the ability to embed Flex within Breeze interfaces and Breeze within Flex interfaces.

              Of course you could go the loadMovie way but have you looked at the
              mx:Loader component?

              Dirk.

              AVIS IMPORTANTWARNING

              Les informations contenues dans le present document et ses pieces jointes sont strictement confidentielles et reservees a l'usage de la (des) personne(s) a qui il est adresse. Si vous n'etes pas le destinataire, soyez avise que toute divulgation, distribution, copie, ou autre utilisation de ces informations est strictement prohibee. Si vous avez recu ce document par erreur, veuillez s'il vous plait communiquer immediatement avec l'expediteur et detruire ce document sans en faire de copie sous quelque forme.

              The information contained in this document and attachments is confidential and intended only for the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any other use of the information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this document by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and destroy this document and attachments without making any copy of any kind.

            • Dimitrios Gianninas
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                Call Center and intranet for us is what I can see for now.

                Rich Text Editor control are minimum should be able to:
                - control the font style (color, size, weight)
                - justification
                - bullets

                extras:
                - embedded tables
                - embedded images
                - etc...

                btw Libby... figured out how do to spell check :)

                Jimmy Gianninas - Developer
                Optimal Payments Inc.

                on the rich text editor requests and additional flash paper requests - in what application would you use this? intranet, extranet, call center, ecomm?  what do you consider "basic?"

                thanks,

                l.

                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 3, 2004
                  Excellent list... hopefully in Flex 2.0.

                  Jimmy Gianninas - Developer
                  Optimal Payments Inc.