Re: Combobox auto size

  • Fiona Malikoff
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 1 5:51 PM
      Matt,

      The CalculateWidths method doesn't seem to be available on a ComboBox.

      ComboBox inherits from ComboBase, which inherits from UIComponent. No
      mention of ScrollSelectList in the inheritance hierachy in the doco.
      ScrollSelectList is a parent class for DataGrid, but not for ComboBox.

      For a ComboBox, it looks like we need to work out the length
      ourselves and set it using the dropdownWidth property

      Fiona

      --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Chotin <mchotin@m...> wrote:
      > Autosizing a listbox is very expensive so we don't do it by
      default. See if
      > the calcluateWidths method can help you out (you would use it after
      > assigning the dataProvder).

      http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/S
      crollS
      > electList.html#calculateWidths

      <http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/
      Scroll
      > SelectList.html#calculateWidths>
      >

      > Matt

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ql2lrb/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
      6/D=gr

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ql2lrb/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
      6/D=gr

      oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1091088061/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
      //comp
      > <http://comp>
      > > anion.yahoo.com> click here
      > >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=

      > > :HM/A=2128215/rand=884330193>
      > >

      > > _____
      > >
      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      subject=Unsubscribe>

      of Service
      > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

      > > ~~-------
      > > This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not
      the
      > intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete
      this
      > e-mail from your system. You must not disclose this e-mail to
      anyone
      > without express permission from the sender. The contents of all e-
      mails
      > sent to and received from Optus may be scanned, stored, or
      disclosed to
      > others at Optus discretion.
      > >
      > > Optus has exercised care to avoid errors in the information
      contained in
      > this e-mail but does not warrant that the information is error or
      omission
      > free. The information (including any pricing information)
      contained in this
      > e-mail is subject to change. This e-mail is not a quotation or
      proposal and
      > no contractual obligations arise until you and Optus sign a formal
      written
      > contract or formal variation to your existing contract.
      > >
      > > Any pricing contained in this e-mail is exclusive of GST unless
      otherwise
      > stated.

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12973sdh3/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
      6/D=gr

      oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1091088630/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
      /compa
      > nion.yahoo.com> click here
      >

      > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
      M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
      > :HM/A=2128215/rand=683615418>
      >

      > _____
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

      of
    • Gordon Smith
      Message 2 of 19 , Aug 2 12:50 PM
        The dropdown of a ComboBox is a List which inherits from ScrollSelectList.
        In other words, a ComboBox is not a ScrollSelectList, but it has one.

        - Gordon

        The CalculateWidths method doesn't seem to be available on a ComboBox.

        ComboBox inherits from ComboBase, which inherits from UIComponent. No
        mention of ScrollSelectList in the inheritance hierachy in the doco.
        ScrollSelectList is a parent class for DataGrid, but not for ComboBox.

        For a ComboBox, it looks like we need to work out the length
        ourselves and set it using the dropdownWidth property

        Fiona

        --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Chotin <mchotin@m...> wrote:
        > Autosizing a listbox is very expensive so we don't do it by
        default. See if
        > the calcluateWidths method can help you out (you would use it after
        > assigning the dataProvder).

        http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/S
        crollS
        > electList.html#calculateWidths

        <http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/
        Scroll
        > SelectList.html#calculateWidths>
        >

        > Matt

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        of Service
        > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

        > > ~~-------
        > > This e-mail may contain confidential information. If you are not
        the
        > intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete
        this
        > e-mail from your system. You must not disclose this e-mail to
        anyone
        > without express permission from the sender. The contents of all e-
        mails
        > sent to and received from Optus may be scanned, stored, or
        disclosed to
        > others at Optus discretion.
        > >
        > > Optus has exercised care to avoid errors in the information
        contained in
        > this e-mail but does not warrant that the information is error or
        omission
        > free. The information (including any pricing information)
        contained in this
        > e-mail is subject to change. This e-mail is not a quotation or
        proposal and
        > no contractual obligations arise until you and Optus sign a formal
        written
        > contract or formal variation to your existing contract.
        > >
        > > Any pricing contained in this e-mail is exclusive of GST unless
        otherwise
        > stated.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12973sdh3/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
        6/D=gr

        oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1091088630/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
        /compa
        > nion.yahoo.com> click here
        >

        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
        > :HM/A=2128215/rand=683615418>
        >

        > _____
        >
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        of

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Rich Tretola
        Message 3 of 19 , Aug 2 12:53 PM
          Anyone know when additional sample code will be available for the
          iterationTwo book?
        • Steven Webster
          Message 4 of 19 , Aug 2 2:01 PM
            Hey Rich,

            > Anyone know when additional sample code will be available for
            > the iterationTwo book?

            Truth be told, Alistair and I have been up to our eyes with
            consultancy work right now, and finding it hard to find the
            extra time necessary to update the code for updater 2 and get
            it uploaded.

            We'll do our best to get some more chapters up in the days or
            weeks ahead ... apologies in advance for the hold up.

            Best,

            Steven

            --
            Steven Webster
            Technical Director
            Message 5 of 19 , Aug 2 5:35 PM

              Matt> Autosizing a listbox is very expensive so we don't do it by
              default.  See if

              wish list:

              option to ensure autoResize.  Which is on by default for a combo box.
              I can't see that being expensive in most cases for a combo box.

              Cameron

              The dropdown of a ComboBox is a List which inherits from ScrollSelectList.
              In other words, a ComboBox is not a ScrollSelectList, but it has one.

              - Gordon

              The CalculateWidths method doesn't seem to be available on a ComboBox.

              ComboBox inherits from ComboBase, which inherits from UIComponent. No
              mention of ScrollSelectList in the inheritance hierachy in the doco.
              ScrollSelectList is a parent class for DataGrid, but not for ComboBox.

              For a ComboBox, it looks like we need to work out the length
              ourselves and set it using the dropdownWidth property

              Fiona

              --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Matt Chotin <mchotin@m...> wrote:
              > Autosizing a listbox is very expensive so we don't do it by
              default.  See if
              > the calcluateWidths method can help you out (you would use it after
              > assigning the dataProvder).

              http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/S
              crollS
              > electList.html#calculateWidths

              <http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/
              Scroll
              > SelectList.html#calculateWidths>
              >

              > Matt

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of Service
              > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> > .

              > > ~~-------
              > > This e-mail may contain confidential information.  If you are not
              the
              > intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete
              this
              > e-mail from your system.  You must not disclose this e-mail to
              anyone
              > without express permission from the sender.  The contents of all e-
              mails
              > sent to and received from Optus may be scanned, stored, or
              disclosed to
              > others at Optus discretion.
              > >
              > > Optus has exercised care to avoid errors in the information
              contained in
              > this e-mail but does not warrant that the information is error or
              omission
              > free.  The information (including any pricing information)
              contained in this
              > e-mail is subject to change.  This e-mail is not a quotation or
              proposal and
              > no contractual obligations arise until you and Optus sign a formal
              written
              > contract or formal variation to your existing contract.
              > >
              > > Any pricing contained in this e-mail is exclusive of GST unless
              otherwise
              > stated.

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12973sdh3/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
              6/D=gr

              oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1091088630/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
              /compa
              > nion.yahoo.com> click here
              >

              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
              > :HM/A=2128215/rand=683615418>
              >

              >   _____
              >
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              > *         To visit your group on the web, go to:
              >

              > *         To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >

              > *         Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
              of
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>  Service.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Rich Tretola
              Message 6 of 19 , Aug 3 5:21 AM
                I especially am interested in the examples for chapter 20 (online
                banking) with j2ee.

                Can you post a note to this list or email me directly when you get
                that sample up?

                Thanks,
                Rich
              • Niklas Richardson
                Message 7 of 19 , Aug 3 5:33 AM
                  How about this for a suggestion?

                  Shove all the examples up and the community can fix any issues with the code with the latest Flex updaters!! ;)

                  My 2p!

                  Cheers

                  Niklas

                  Niklas Richardson, Managing Director
                  Message 8 of 19 , Aug 3 5:40 AM
                    Sorry Niklas ... we're not happy putting up anything other than working code, that
                    has been tested and confirmed as running on the latest build.  Book authoring
                    runs on incredibly tight deadlines, moreso with the Flex product than normal...
                    ...don't think of the code being delayed, think of the book being delivered
                    early.  Seriously.

                    Bear with us....the code is all in the book, and discussed in the book, and
                    we know lots of folks are already working with the code on projects of their
                    own, so hopefully it's not too much of an inconvenience.

                    Best,

                    Steven

                    --
                    Steven Webster
                    Technical Director

                    I especially am interested in the examples for chapter 20 (online
                    banking) with j2ee.

                    Can you post a note to this list or email me directly when you get
                    that sample up?

                    Thanks,
                    Rich

                    ---

                  • Niklas Richardson
                    Message 9 of 19 , Aug 3 5:42 AM
                      Hi Steven,

                      That's completely fair.  I understand where you're coming from.

                      Just wanted to suggest a way to take some of the pressure off you guys as I know you're all really busy!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Aug 19 12:19 AM
                        G'Day Matt,
                            Is the "dropdown" the list?
                         This didn't seem to work:

                        myCB.dropdown.calculateWidths(0,nc.length);

                        thanks

                        Cameron

                        Autosizing a listbox is very expensive so we don't do it by default.  See if the calcluateWidths method can help you out (you would use it after assigning the dataProvder).

                        http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/1/asdocs/mx/controls/listclasses/ScrollSelectList.html#calculateWidths

                        Matt

                        Even if I set statically its dataProvider, the autoresize seems to do
                        "something" but not an ideal solution (nothing that can be used in
                        production mode hehe)

                        <mx:ComboBox id="myCombo">
                        <mx:dataProvider>
                           <mx:Array id="myArray">
                              <mx:String>This is a test</mx:String>
                              <mx:String>This is</mx:String>
                              <mx:String>This is a more complicated test</mx:String>
                           </mx:Array>
                        </mx:dataProvider>
                        </mx:ComboBox>

                        Greetings,

                                  ,+'^'+,
                             Alberto Albericio | AURA SEGUROS | www.auraseguros.com
                                  +,.,+'

                        On
                        Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Cameron Gregory wrote:

                        > confirmed :-)

                        > Cameron

                        Wednesday, 28 July 2004 17:56
                        > To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: [flexcoders] Combobox auto size
                        >

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > When I set the dataProvider parameter of a combobox to something returned
                        > from a web service call, It gets the correct values returned but it doesnt
                        > modifies its width to the max length of the returned values.
                        >
                        > Can someone confirm this?
                        >
                        > Greetings
                        >

                        >           ,+'^'+,
                        >      Alberto Albericio | AURA SEGUROS | www.auraseguros.com
                        >           +,.,+'
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        > <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129ql2lrb/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                        > oups/S=1705007207:HM/EXP=1091088061/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
                        > anion.yahoo.com> click here

                        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
                        > :HM/A=2128215/rand=884330193>
                        >

                        >   _____
                        >
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
                        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                        >

                        > ~~-------
                        > This e-mail may contain confidential information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail from your system.  You must not disclose this e-mail to anyone without express permission from the sender.  The contents of all e-mails sent to and received from Optus may be scanned, stored, or disclosed to others at Optus discretion.
                        >
                        > Optus has exercised care to avoid errors in the information contained in this e-mail but does not warrant that the information is error or omission free.  The information (including any pricing information) contained in this e-mail is subject to change.  This e-mail is not a quotation or proposal and no contractual obligations arise until you and Optus sign a formal written contract or formal variation to your existing contract.
                        >
                        > Any pricing contained in this e-mail is exclusive of GST unless otherwise stated.

                      • Simon J
                        Message 11 of 19 , Aug 19 2:09 AM

                          What process is involved in producing effects with images in a similar fashion to this for example

                          http://www.airtightinteractive.com/photos/

                          You will need to excuse my ignorance as I am coming from a .net/j2ee background and not a flash background.

                          I have many questions J

                          Does flex cache images on the client in the same way a browser does?

                          It appears in the above example that the flash app is aware of how large each image is and how much has loaded from the server.  Is this actually what is happening, and can I replicate this in flex, or is this just a fancy bit of flash coding that gives that impression??

                          For now ill leave it at that J

                          Thanks

                          Simon

                        • Matt Chotin
                          Message 12 of 19 , Aug 19 9:17 PM

                            Flex takes advantage of the browser cache but does not have a cache on its own.  When Images are loading you can get progress and complete events to tell you how much they've downloaded.  Check out the docs for more details.

                            Matt

                            Message 13 of 19 , Aug 19 9:57 PM

                              The doc didn't make clear that it returns the width that you would then assign.  Doh!

                              Note that I did this using creationComplete, it didn't seem to work if I did it on initialize.  So you should be aware that you might need to wait a frame before running calculateWidths after assigning the dataProvider.

                              <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

                              <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.macromedia.com/2003/mxml" xmlns="*">

                                  <mx:ComboBox id="cb" creationComplete="cb.width = cb.dropdown.calculateWidths()">

                                      <mx:dataProvider>

                                          <mx:Array>

                                              <mx:String>I am a short string</mx:String>

                                              <mx:String>I am a longer string and I will need more space</mx:String>

                                              <mx:String>I am the longest string and I take a huge amount of space</mx:String>

                                          </mx:Array>

                                      </mx:dataProvider>

                                  </mx:ComboBox>

                              </mx:Application>

                              Matt

                              Message 14 of 19 , Aug 19 10:08 PM
                                thanks .. I'll give it a go ..
                                would this be a good time to use "doLater" ??
                                (i set the dataprovider from a network call)

                                cameron

                                Message 15 of 19 , Aug 19 10:20 PM

                                  Yep, doLater would be what you'd use.

                                  Matt