Re: Adding stroke to text or bitmap at runtime

  • Alex H
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27 11:33 PM
      There are edge detection algorithms. You might need something like that. The glyph information would be better, but I don't think it is available.

      --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, dorkie dork from dorktown <dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:

      > The picture I linked is not that clear. Here is a clearer picture and the
      > article,
      > http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/13.jpg
      > http://internetwebsitedesign.biz/design/how-to-create-a-retro-cafe-racer-motorcycle-ad-design
      >
      > What he is doing at design time I want to do at runtime.
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM, dorkie dork from dorktown <
      > dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I want to add a stroke (a border or outline) to the *edge* of the text or
      > > image itself.
      > >
      > > For example, the text and the image in this screenshot show what I'd like
      > > to do,
      > > http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/retro-cafe-racer-ad.jpg.
      > >

      > > There are filters that add drop shadow or a glow around the
      > > non-transparent pixels (content) of a display object. But no one in the
      > > world has been able to create a filter to add a stroke.
      > >
      > > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:
      > >
      > >> **
      > >>

      > >> I'm still not sure I understand. Why do you have to add Stroke
      > >> components? You can just call graphics APIs on them.
      > >>
      > >> If you must use components, can you overlay or underlay them in a Group
      > >> parenting the Label?
      > >>

      > >> On 4/25/12 12:59 AM, "dorkiedorkfromdorktown@..." <
      > >> dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:
      > >>

      > >> I'm looking for more of something like this:
      > >>
      > >> <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
      > >> <s:stroke>
      > >> <s:SolidColorStroke weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
      > >> </s:stroke>
      > >> </s:Label>
      > >>
      > >> or this:
      > >>
      > >> <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
      > >> <s:filters>
      > >> <s:SolidColorStrokeFilter weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
      > >> </s:filters>
      > >> </s:Label>
      > >>
      > >> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:
      > >>

      > >> In Spark controls, you can add children to the TextLine like a sprite.
      > >>

      > >> On 4/12/12 5:43 PM, "dorkiedorkfromdorktown@... <
      > >> http://dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> " <
      > >> dorkiedorkfromdorktown@... <http://dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...>
      > >>

      > >> How would you add a stroke to dynamic text at runtime? If that's not
      > >> possible how would you add a stroke to a bitmap (snapshot of text)?
      > >>

      > >> --
      > >> Alex Harui
      > >> Flex SDK Team
      > >> Adobe Systems, Inc.
      > >> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

    • dorkie dork from dorktown
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
        I discovered that using the DropShadowFilter with the right settings gets really close to the border stroke created by the effects filters in Photoshop. I mean it's like 95% accurate. I've posted examples (comparing bitmap from photoshop and a live BorderStrokeFilter on my site http://bit.ly/OP10l6.

        PS The example also has a drop shadow filter explorer, text shadow filter and skinnable container frame skin.