Re: [flexcoders] Adding stroke to text or bitmap at runtime

  • dorkie dork from dorktown
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 6:44 PM
      The picture I linked is not that clear. Here is a clearer picture and the article,
      http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/13.jpg
      http://internetwebsitedesign.biz/design/how-to-create-a-retro-cafe-racer-motorcycle-ad-design

      What he is doing at design time I want to do at runtime.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM, dorkie dork from dorktown <dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:
      I want to add a stroke (a border or outline) to the edge of the text or image itself.

      For example, the text and the image in this screenshot show what I'd like to do, http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/retro-cafe-racer-ad.jpg.

      There are filters that add drop shadow or a glow around the non-transparent pixels (content) of a display object. But no one in the world has been able to create a filter to add a stroke.

      On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:

      I’m still not sure I understand.  Why do you have to add Stroke components?  You can just call graphics APIs on them.

      If you must use components, can you overlay or underlay them in a Group parenting the Label?

      On 4/25/12 12:59 AM, "dorkiedorkfromdorktown@..." <dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:

      I'm looking for more of something like this:

      <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
      <s:stroke>
      <s:SolidColorStroke weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
      </s:stroke>
      </s:Label>

      or this:

      <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
      <s:filters>
      <s:SolidColorStrokeFilter weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
      </s:filters>
      </s:Label>

      On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:

      In Spark controls, you can add children to the TextLine like a sprite.

      How would you add a stroke to dynamic text at runtime? If that's not possible how would you add a stroke to a bitmap (snapshot of text)?

      --
      Alex Harui
      Flex SDK Team

    • Alex H
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 27 11:33 PM
        There are edge detection algorithms. You might need something like that. The glyph information would be better, but I don't think it is available.

        --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, dorkie dork from dorktown <dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:

        > The picture I linked is not that clear. Here is a clearer picture and the
        > article,
        > http://www.blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/13.jpg
        > http://internetwebsitedesign.biz/design/how-to-create-a-retro-cafe-racer-motorcycle-ad-design
        >
        > What he is doing at design time I want to do at runtime.
        >
        > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:41 PM, dorkie dork from dorktown <
        > dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:
        >
        > > I want to add a stroke (a border or outline) to the *edge* of the text or
        > > image itself.
        > >
        > > For example, the text and the image in this screenshot show what I'd like
        > > to do,
        > > http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/cafe-racer/retro-cafe-racer-ad.jpg.
        > >

        > > There are filters that add drop shadow or a glow around the
        > > non-transparent pixels (content) of a display object. But no one in the
        > > world has been able to create a filter to add a stroke.
        > >
        > > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 1:05 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> I'm still not sure I understand. Why do you have to add Stroke
        > >> components? You can just call graphics APIs on them.
        > >>
        > >> If you must use components, can you overlay or underlay them in a Group
        > >> parenting the Label?
        > >>

        > >> On 4/25/12 12:59 AM, "dorkiedorkfromdorktown@..." <
        > >> dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> wrote:
        > >>

        > >> I'm looking for more of something like this:
        > >>
        > >> <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
        > >> <s:stroke>
        > >> <s:SolidColorStroke weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
        > >> </s:stroke>
        > >> </s:Label>
        > >>
        > >> or this:
        > >>
        > >> <s:Label text="Hello Filters!">
        > >> <s:filters>
        > >> <s:SolidColorStrokeFilter weight="4" color="#ABCDEF"/>
        > >> </s:filters>
        > >> </s:Label>
        > >>
        > >> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:15 AM, Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:
        > >>

        > >> In Spark controls, you can add children to the TextLine like a sprite.
        > >>

        > >> On 4/12/12 5:43 PM, "dorkiedorkfromdorktown@... <
        > >> http://dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...> " <
        > >> dorkiedorkfromdorktown@... <http://dorkiedorkfromdorktown@...>
        > >>

        > >> How would you add a stroke to dynamic text at runtime? If that's not
        > >> possible how would you add a stroke to a bitmap (snapshot of text)?
        > >>

        > >> --
        > >> Alex Harui
        > >> Flex SDK Team
        > >> Adobe Systems, Inc.
        > >> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

      • dorkie dork from dorktown
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2012
          I discovered that using the DropShadowFilter with the right settings gets really close to the border stroke created by the effects filters in Photoshop. I mean it's like 95% accurate. I've posted examples (comparing bitmap from photoshop and a live BorderStrokeFilter on my site http://bit.ly/OP10l6.

          PS The example also has a drop shadow filter explorer, text shadow filter and skinnable container frame skin.