Restriction on Style names in FlashBuilder 4

  • Amy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1 9:16 AM
      Is there something in Flash Builder that prevents the string "show" as part of a Style name in Flash Builder 4? I'm trying to make a button that will show an image that you pass it by using the style name showImage. I am finding that any styles I name "showSomething" neither show up in code completion nor work.

      I actually tried setting up this definition in the metadata for my custom button

      [Style (name='thing', type='Number', format='Boolean', inherit='yes')]

      This works.

      However:

      [Style (name='showThing', type='Number', format='Boolean', inherit='yes')]

      fails.

      What gives, guys?

      Thanks;

      Amy
    • Amy
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1 10:18 AM
        --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Amy" <amyblankenship@...> wrote:

        > Is there something in Flash Builder that prevents the string "show" as part of a Style name in Flash Builder 4? I'm trying to make a button that will show an image that you pass it by using the style name showImage. I am finding that any styles I name "showSomething" neither show up in code completion nor work.
        >
        > I actually tried setting up this definition in the metadata for my custom button
        >

        > [Style (name='thing', type='Number', format='Boolean', inherit='yes')]
        >
        > This works.
        >
        > However:
        >
        > [Style (name='showThing', type='Number', format='Boolean', inherit='yes')]
        >
        > fails.
        >
        > What gives, guys?

        OK, it looks like maybe there were some other problems that were causing this weird situation... I guess it will take me a while to figure out where the problems are. It feels like so far that Flash Builder is much more prone to fail silently and not give you a clear indication of what the real problem is, but that's probably just an artifact of switching the SDK version and the Builder/Compiler version at the same time.

        -Amy
      • Gordon Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1 2:02 PM

          BTW, I don’t think format=’Boolean’ makes sense for type=’Number’.

          Gordon Smith

          Adobe Flex SDK Team

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 10:26 AM
            You're right that this doesn't make sense. But sometimes Flash sees Boolean as a number, and I was getting my Metadata confused with my ExternalInterface http://flexdiary.blogspot.com/2007/11/more-on-externalinterface.html.