Re: [flexcoders] RE: Compiling MXML via Air Native Process

  • dorkie dork from dorktown
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 13, 2010
      Have you tried escaping spaces with %20?

      On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Julian Tenney <Julian.Tenney@...> wrote:

      I've tried, but it's not straightforward. The best way I've seen is to (and I quote)

      "run a dir on a command prompt and parse the results"

      so it is 1992 after all.

      I've written my own 'getShortFileName' function, but it makes a lot of assumptions, and doesn't look in parent folders for similar names etc. The only good way to get an 8.3 name is from windows itself.

      And, just for fun, how do you do it on a Mac?

      I've wasted several days now. Time to put it to one side, and tell my users 'you know what? Don't put any spaces in any of your paths'. It's ridiculous.

      If you want to see what I'm building check out http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/downloads/xerte3beta.exe.

      Cheers,

      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 13, 2010
        Every type of encoding and escaping I have been able to find.

        By all  means tell me one that does work!

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 13, 2010
          i had this same issue with an ant task but it was a few years ago. try flipping the quotes from double to single or vice versa. also try escaping the quotes to make sure they are going through.

          can you provide steps to reproduce the error on the command line?

          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 13, 2010
            Re: [flexcoders] RE: Compiling MXML via Air Native Process I think if you can’t do it on the command line manually, you’re probably hosed.  FCSH was a skunkworks project that got shoved out the door so I’m not surprised there can be a bug like that.  I’m not clear it got significant testing.  If I get a chance I’ll peek at the source and see how it parses input.

            Your workaround is to use MXMLC directly as you’ve seen that it does work there, although it won’t be as fast.

            By all means, file a bug.

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 14, 2010

              mxmlc is not really a feasible option after using fcsh.

              How does FlashBuilder or FlashDevelop do it? I saw the guys behind the FDT plug-in also got stuck with it, but don’t know if they resolved it? Is there any third party thing I might put between my app and fcsh? Alternatively, is there a better / convenient way of getting Windows short filenames? I hoped the File class would, but no, that only gives you long filenames from short ones. Great.

              I’ll file a bug.

              To reproduce it on the command line:

              Start -> Run _> cmd

              : c:\>

              cd flex4sdk

              :c:\flex4sdk\

              cd bin

              :c:\flex4sdk\bin

              Fcsh

              (fcsh)

              mxmlc “c:\Documents and Settings\cczjrt\Desktop\charts\charts.mxml”

              Error: Unable to open “Settings\cczjrt\Desktop\charts\charts.mxml”

              Cosmic. It’s clearly splitting the params on spaces, and consequently breaking.

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 14, 2010

                I filed the bug: ASC-4151

                Any help you can give to get that fixed in 4.5 would be fantastic, thanks.

                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 14, 2010

                  One workaround is to set the working directory of the fcsh process, but passing in other file paths other than the .mxml file is still troublesome, although  I do have a bit more control over other classpaths / FlexSDK location etc, so it’s better,

                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 14, 2010
                    Re: [flexcoders] RE: Compiling MXML via Air Native Process I took a quick peek at the source.  It doesn’t get a set of args from the command-line parser since it has its own prompt.  It is using StringTokenizer which tokenizes on spaces.

                    I’m not sure there’s a way around it, but if you haven’t tried it, try building the string using unicode space (0xA0) but w/o using escape sequences.  I’m not clear there is any code that would unescape or decode the sequences in your example.  And it would also require that the OS is tolerant of unicode space in the filename, which I’m not sure about either.

                    So maybe a String.replace that replaces “ “ with String.fromCharCode(0xA0)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 15, 2010

                      I tried that one. Never mind. Too much time wasted now and just have to move on. Please get it fixed to work properly!

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 15, 2010
                        Re: [flexcoders] RE: Compiling MXML via Air Native Process Yeah, tried it too.  It is just plain broken.  I found out that FlashBuilder does not use fcsh which is one reason nobody has caught this issue before.  Get some votes for the bug.

                        BTW, did you consider copying fcsh.java and fixing it for yourself?  It is in the opensource repository.