Re: [flexcoders] Re: AIR + RSL Error #2035: URL Not Found

  • Tom Chiverton
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
      On Monday 28 Sep 2009, reflexactions wrote:
      > We do a single build of the modules and run them in both the web and AIR
      > version.

      *Right*, which is a good way to do it.
      But why not just bake the modules into the app, rather than load them at
      runtime... ?

      --
      Helping to proactively unleash innovative exceptional infomediaries as part of
      the IT team of the year, '09 and '08

      This email is sent for and on behalf of Halliwells LLP.

      Halliwells LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England and Wales under registered number OC307980 whose registered office address is at Halliwells LLP, 3 Hardman Square, Spinningfields, Manchester, M3 3EB. A list of members is available for inspection at the registered office together with a list of those non members who are referred to as partners. We use the word ?partner? to refer to a member of the LLP, or an employee or consultant with equivalent standing and qualifications. Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority.

      CONFIDENTIALITY

      This email is intended only for the use of the addressee named above and may be confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you must not read it and must not use any information contained in nor copy it nor inform any person other than Halliwells LLP or the addressee of its existence or contents. If you have received this email in error please delete it and notify Halliwells LLP IT Department on 0870 365 2500.

      For more information about Halliwells LLP visit
      www.Halliwells.com.

    • reflexactions
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2009
        Thanks for the reply.

        Well firstly we would need to redesign the app to even get the modules merged in, as AFAIK FB only merges things that are referenced, since we dont have any references to the modules from the application we would need to change the app to make dummy references. The application currently stands at over 1000 classes, and changes daily.

        Then, correct me if I am wrong but, if modules are merged into code rather than external it would make all the code resident in memory all the time whereas external modules can be loaded only when required and then unloaded when not needed. We have serious enough memory issues already with flex apps without having large amounts of unused code resident in memory.

        Additionally there are build issue with FB when merged, before we switched to using external modules a few years back, build times would often exceed an hour even with 4GB/DualProcessors etc instead of around 1 minute with modules (max 2-3 min if doing a full clean on all modules).

        ...and then we would ask ourselves why are we having to do this, is AIR not capable of supporting RSL's, which leads us back to the original question?