[flexcoders] Passing an email *subject* when opening email client?

  • JRBower
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1 12:01 AM
      The function below works great for passing the email address but I'd like to
      also pass the subject also. Any ideas how to include the subject in this
      function?

      private function launchMailer(e:Event):void
      {
      var mailLink:URLRequest = new URLRequest("mailto://" +
      e.currentTarget.label);
      navigateToURL( mailLink, "_self" );
      }

      Thanks,
      James
    • Josh McDonald
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 12:10 AM
        I think you append ?subject=foo but it only works in MSIE... It's been a while tho so I could be very wrong!

        -J

        On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 5:01 PM, JRBower <jbower@...> wrote:

        The function below works great for passing the email address but I'd like to
        also pass the subject also. Any ideas how to include the subject in this
        function?

        private function launchMailer(e:Event):void
        {
        var mailLink:URLRequest = new URLRequest("mailto://" +
        e.currentTarget.label);
        navigateToURL( mailLink, "_self" );
        }

        Thanks,
        James

        "Therefore, send not to know For whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee."

        :: Josh 'G-Funk' McDonald
        :: 0437 221 380 :: josh@...
      • Maciek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1 12:11 AM
          http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I&q=mailto+syntax

          On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 00:01 -0700, JRBower wrote:

          > The function below works great for passing the email address but I'd
          > like to
          > also pass the subject also. Any ideas how to include the subject in
          > this
          > function?
          >
          > private function launchMailer(e:Event):void
          > {
          > var mailLink:URLRequest = new URLRequest("mailto://" +
          > e.currentTarget.label);
          > navigateToURL( mailLink, "_self" );
          > }
          >
          > Thanks,
          > James
          > --

        • Vadim Melnik
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1 11:53 AM
            I believe it's related to "mailto" protocol (http://www.rfc.net/rfc2368.html), something like listed below should work:

            navigateToURL(new URLRequest("mailto://aaa@...?subject=Hello"), "_self" );

            --
            Thanks,
            Vadim.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2 4:55 AM
              With your help I could put together a solution. Here's what worked for me:

              private function launchMailer(e:Event):void{
              var mailLink:URLRequest = new URLRequest("mailto://" +
              e.currentTarget.label + "?subject=Hello Nabble: " + someID.text + " :: " +
              anicelyformattedDate.text);
              navigateToURL( mailLink, "_self" );
              }

              Cheers,