Hello - New to Group. An Observation

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
      Hello Bill and all,

      I found your site just over a year ago and the Yahoo group earlier in this week. Read through all 870 messages and ordered the plans yesterday. Spent a short amount of time this morning going through them and have an observation:

      Was surprized to see that there isn't any sort of materials list. I fully understand that each builder may vary from the plan a certian amount and depending on content built into the craft, the amount of supplies would change. That said, I'm still wondering what is typcial for a basic (rowing style) hull build? Number of sheets of ply/luan, amounts of other hardwood stock, aluminum angle, approximate number (and size recommendations) of fasteners, etc. Interested in this to reduce number of trips to lumber yard/hardware store and to get a ball park figure on cost as some others have inquired to in the past.

      Same for the adhesives and finishes. If not for the history of reading past messages on this group, I wouldn't really know what glues, caulks, paints and varnish to source. Again, I do realize specific brands may be geographically limited, but would find it helpful to know that a quart of this, a half pint of that, etc.

      Anyone able to lend any insight?

      Thanks in advance,
      Jeff
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
        Hi Jeff, and welcome.

        In the very early days there was a material list, but I quickly learned it was virtually useless when it became apparent that most builders were outside the US. Some wanted translations into their native language, and Gabrielle was kind enough to provide a German translation.

        The type and dimensions of available wood complicated things further. If the thickness of the panels and hinge covers varied, the builder might be stuck with hundreds expensive special order screws that could not be used. I felt it much safer to let the builder determine what length screw was needed rather than me trying to specifying it from a distance.

        As the list of building options grew and some of the adhesives I originally used were changed it became even more impossible.

        In the beginning (I am trying not to sound like Genesis) the interest was by far for a boat that was for survival on a larger boat. I tried to make the Flapdoodle easier to assemble on a pitching deck. But as you see in the Group polls, that is NOT the real interest.

        In short, it is like trying to buy shoes for someone else, and I abandoned effort for a materials list.

        It is perfectly okay to ask in the Group what materials are available in your area.

        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <j_mirch@...> wrote:

        > Hello Bill and all,
        >
        > I found your site just over a year ago and the Yahoo group earlier in this week. Read through all 870 messages and ordered the plans yesterday. Spent a short amount of time this morning going through them and have an observation:
        >
        > Was surprized to see that there isn't any sort of materials list. I fully understand that each builder may vary from the plan a certian amount and depending on content built into the craft, the amount of supplies would change. That said, I'm still wondering what is typcial for a basic (rowing style) hull build? Number of sheets of ply/luan, amounts of other hardwood stock, aluminum angle, approximate number (and size recommendations) of fasteners, etc. Interested in this to reduce number of trips to lumber yard/hardware store and to get a ball park figure on cost as some others have inquired to in the past.
        >
        > Same for the adhesives and finishes. If not for the history of reading past messages on this group, I wouldn't really know what glues, caulks, paints and varnish to source. Again, I do realize specific brands may be geographically limited, but would find it helpful to know that a quart of this, a half pint of that, etc.
        >
        > Anyone able to lend any insight?
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        > Jeff

      • jayemmemm65
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
          Hey Bill,

          Thanks for the reply. I wear a size 10 in some styles and up to 11 in others. Can you find me a pair please :)

          Joking aside, I understand your comments. Location is SE Michigan, USA. Not to far from Al (if he's still on here?). Using the same HD or Lowe's 5.2mm luan you've sourced in the past, how many sheets do the hull panels require?

          Thanks again,
          Jeff

          --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill" <flap@...> wrote:

          > Hi Jeff, and welcome.
          >
          > In the very early days there was a material list, but I quickly learned it was virtually useless when it became apparent that most builders were outside the US. Some wanted translations into their native language, and Gabrielle was kind enough to provide a German translation.
          >
          > The type and dimensions of available wood complicated things further. If the thickness of the panels and hinge covers varied, the builder might be stuck with hundreds expensive special order screws that could not be used. I felt it much safer to let the builder determine what length screw was needed rather than me trying to specifying it from a distance.
          >
          > As the list of building options grew and some of the adhesives I originally used were changed it became even more impossible.
          >
          > In the beginning (I am trying not to sound like Genesis) the interest was by far for a boat that was for survival on a larger boat. I tried to make the Flapdoodle easier to assemble on a pitching deck. But as you see in the Group polls, that is NOT the real interest.
          >
          > In short, it is like trying to buy shoes for someone else, and I abandoned effort for a materials list.
          >
          > It is perfectly okay to ask in the Group what materials are available in your area.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <j_mirch@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello Bill and all,
          > >
          > > I found your site just over a year ago and the Yahoo group earlier in this week. Read through all 870 messages and ordered the plans yesterday. Spent a short amount of time this morning going through them and have an observation:
          > >
          > > Was surprized to see that there isn't any sort of materials list. I fully understand that each builder may vary from the plan a certian amount and depending on content built into the craft, the amount of supplies would change. That said, I'm still wondering what is typcial for a basic (rowing style) hull build? Number of sheets of ply/luan, amounts of other hardwood stock, aluminum angle, approximate number (and size recommendations) of fasteners, etc. Interested in this to reduce number of trips to lumber yard/hardware store and to get a ball park figure on cost as some others have inquired to in the past.
          > >
          > > Same for the adhesives and finishes. If not for the history of reading past messages on this group, I wouldn't really know what glues, caulks, paints and varnish to source. Again, I do realize specific brands may be geographically limited, but would find it helpful to know that a quart of this, a half pint of that, etc.
          > >
          > > Anyone able to lend any insight?
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance,
          > > Jeff

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 6, 2009
            We are still in the area where options are the deciding factor. Sandals require less leather than boots. For the panels and hinge covers, figure 2 sheets.

            If you want an inner gunnel strip, wish to laminate your own thwart, end plates, fore and aft decks, then figure another sheet. Else, use whatever you wish for material. A half-sheet of 1/2 inch ply might do it.

            I hate to be vague, but there are a LOT of factors.

            Bill