Dacron wood joints

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 3:38 PM
      A while back I posted the problems I had with made in China nylon cable ties. Recently I had thrown a handful of assorted sizes in the motor bike "trunk". Yesterday I cleaned it out and found what looked like a bunch of the clipped off ends of wire ties. Nope... All but one clamps had lost its connecting end due to just the vibration from the bike. They had been stored for 5 years in the shop, never exposed to sunlight, excessive heat or cold.

      This was especially scary for me since one of the Flapdoodle predecessors (the Calico Boat) used them structurally in hard to access places.

      It did give me an idea though. Picture an X joint of 1/4" ply (but larger wood joints should work too). Before gluing, drill four 1/16-1/8" holes. When the glue is set, Dacron fish line (I have a bunch) would be threaded through the holes and tied securely. Then the line is heated with a cigarette lighter or close proximity of the high wattage soldering iron. This step shrinks the Dacron. Finally, polyurethane glue to make sure the line can't slip side-to-side.

      Sounds like a lot of extra work, but it would be easy to do a lot of joints at once. The Native Americans to the North used wet hide lacing. When dry it would pull the joint tight in a similar fashion.

      Bill