Hinges and Size of fasteners - UK sources

  • Stephen AIT
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
      Hi Bill,

      I have received some wonderful hinges from Albert Jagger Ltd undrilled (for
      UK Flapdoodlers http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk see Continuous Hinges - part
      no. 2234/6300 - leaf 28 mm with a 4 mm pin - length 1800) at only £10.
      However, they have a minimum order value of £20 (so I got 2) and delivery
      £8.50 plus 17.5% tax (total £33.49). I will either add the optional extra
      hinges or save the other hinge for a second boat.

      I have also found a good local source for stainless steel machine screws,
      Nyloc nuts and wood screws. I cannot see any specification of sizes for the
      fasteners in the plans. What sizes are used?

      I estimate M4 x 12mm to be OK for the machine screws. Used with a Nyloc
      locking nut which has a 5 mm profile height the total length required should
      be the panel thickness (5.5 mm) + hinge leaf (1.5 mm) + nut (5 mm) giving a
      total length of 12 mm.

      For the wood screws for the fabric clamps I have found a 6 x 3/8" (9 mm)
      countersunk self-tapping stainless steel screw. Bearing in mind it goes
      through the plywood fabric clamp (5.5 mm), the fabric seal itself (say 1.5
      mm) and then has to grip in the remaining 5.5 mm of the side and bottom
      panels ... What do you think?

      Look forward to your comment on this. Best regards,

      Stephen DuBois
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2007
        Sounds great. My only real concern is if the nyloc nuts might be a
        little thick for good closing.

        The length of the wood screws (actually sheet metal screws are best)is
        determined by the wood thickness and the thickness of the PVC fabric
        you chose.

        The hinge screws will be the same situation, but I used #6 countersink
        machine screws. I haven't a clue what that translates to in metric.
        *if* the screws are a little long, some can be ground off after
        assembly. Only a few had the be ground. It takes just seconds with a
        little highspeed hand grinder. It was only necessary because I
        countersunk them a little deeper than I wished. Also, some places in
        the wood had soft spots. Wood is like that. Soft areas will allow the
        counter sunk head to go deeper when the nut is tightened.

        What this means is there are many factors that affect the size and
        lengths throughout the building process.

        Sorry if I sound a bit vague, but without me being there it is
        impossible to give accurate figures.

        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen AIT" <stephen@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > I have received some wonderful hinges from Albert Jagger Ltd
        undrilled (for
        > UK Flapdoodlers http://www.albert-jagger.co.uk see Continuous Hinges
        - part
        > no. 2234/6300 - leaf 28 mm with a 4 mm pin - length 1800) at only £10.
        > However, they have a minimum order value of £20 (so I got 2) and
        delivery
        > £8.50 plus 17.5% tax (total £33.49). I will either add the optional
        extra
        > hinges or save the other hinge for a second boat.
        >
        > I have also found a good local source for stainless steel machine
        screws,
        > Nyloc nuts and wood screws. I cannot see any specification of sizes
        for the
        > fasteners in the plans. What sizes are used?
        >
        > I estimate M4 x 12mm to be OK for the machine screws. Used with a Nyloc
        > locking nut which has a 5 mm profile height the total length
        required should
        > be the panel thickness (5.5 mm) + hinge leaf (1.5 mm) + nut (5 mm)
        giving a
        > total length of 12 mm.
        >
        > For the wood screws for the fabric clamps I have found a 6 x 3/8" (9 mm)
        > countersunk self-tapping stainless steel screw. Bearing in mind it goes
        > through the plywood fabric clamp (5.5 mm), the fabric seal itself
        (say 1.5
        > mm) and then has to grip in the remaining 5.5 mm of the side and bottom
        > panels ... What do you think?
        >
        > Look forward to your comment on this. Best regards,
        >
        > Stephen DuBois

      • stephen397395
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
          Hi Bill,

          I replied to this earlier but the reply disappeared from my screen
          so I am repeating the information in case you didn't get it before.

          Thanks for the information and guidance on the screw sizes. I am
          planning to use the Nyloc nuts for the rabbet hinges where the 5mm
          height does not matter. For the chine hinges I am going to try a
          half height lock nut (2.2mm) with a shakeproff washer (0.5mm high)
          which has the serrations on the inner circumfrence. The hinges have
          a 4mm pin so this should leave about 1.3,mm clearance.

          I have found an interesting screw for the fabric clamps. (See
          http://www.stf-fasteners.co.uk/product.asp?code=232.) These have
          blunt ends and the pilot hole will have to be just right. At the
          moment they are not available in #6 gauge so if I can't get those I
          will use a plain pointed screw and grind off the point. Could you
          give me a rough estimate of the number of fabric clamp screws
          required?

          The products listed on this web site have all the dimensions and it
          may help in translating US products for an international base. They
          supply through retail outlets in the UK. I am compiling a Bill of
          Materials as I acquire components and will add resouces I have
          checked out to the resources folder.

          Hope this message gets posted OK.

          Stephen DuBois

          --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
          <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > I estimate M4 x 12mm to be OK for the machine screws. Used with
          a Nyloc
          > > locking nut which has a 5 mm profile height the total length
          > required should
          > > be the panel thickness (5.5 mm) + hinge leaf (1.5 mm) + nut (5
          mm)
          > giving a
          > > total length of 12 mm.
          > >
          > > For the wood screws for the fabric clamps I have found a 6 x
          3/8" (9 mm)
          > > countersunk self-tapping stainless steel screw. Bearing in mind
          it goes
          > > through the plywood fabric clamp (5.5 mm), the fabric seal itself
          > (say 1.5
          > > mm) and then has to grip in the remaining 5.5 mm of the side and
          bottom
          > > panels ... What do you think?
          > >
          > > Look forward to your comment on this. Best regards,

        • Folding Boat
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
            Many thanks Stephen. That looks like exactly the screw
            shape I was talking about. Wood screw are a straight
            taper on the threaded part, so there is not as much to
            grab hold of the wood. (I tested with scraps and
            pulled them apart).

            Bill

            Folding sail dinghy http://www.flapdoodledinghy.com/

          • stephen397395
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
              Hi Bill,

              Roughly how many fabric clamps screw do you need. I think about 250
              if I have my sums right?

              Regards,

              Stephen DuBois

              --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, Folding Boat
              <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > countersink
              > > > machine screws. I haven't a clue what that
              > > translates to in metric.
              > > > *if* the screws are a little long, some can be
              > > ground off after
              > > > assembly. Only a few had the be ground. It takes
              > > just seconds with
              > > > little highspeed hand grinder. It was only
              > > necessary because I
              > > > countersunk them a little deeper than I wished.
              > > Also, some places
              > > in
              > > > the wood had soft spots. Wood is like that. Soft
              > > areas will allow
              > > the
              > > > counter sunk head to go deeper when the nut is
              > > tightened.
              > > >
              > > > What this means is there are many factors that
              > > affect the size and
              > > > lengths throughout the building process.
              > > >
              > > > Sorry if I sound a bit vague, but without me being

            • Bill
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 5, 2007
                Pretty close. I think I bought 300, but some were used on the gunnel
                and rubrail, and a few other places. Gunnel ends up about 15mm, so
                longer wood screws can work.

                Bill

                --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "stephen397395"