Question About Applying Fabric Hinge

  • amstraub2
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
      Hi Bill,

      I'm back working on my FD Project after a number of "interupts" and
      apparently need to be "retrained". I recall that you filled the
      hinge "stitch holes" with latex caulk but can't seem to find where that
      was mentioned in the instructions. Did you fill the holes from the
      outside before the cloth went on or from the inside before the Gorilla
      Tape was applied. My guess is the latter, or was it both?

      Also, I plan to use the PVC Adhesive (i.e., "pipe dope") to glue the
      cloth to the hull but will try a sample first as, while I know that the
      glue will bond agressivly to the PVC, I'm not sure how well
      the "melted" PVC will stick to the painted hull. I recall that others
      have used the latex caulk instead of the pipe dope for this purpose.

      Thanks for your help.

      Al
      Ann Arbor, MI
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
        I worked wood glue into the stitched hinge holes with my finger tips
        as I completed short sections to assure that there is no slippage. Be
        careful not to get glue where the figure "8" crosses.

        I have not never tried using caulk instead of PVC cement, so can't
        advice you there. Perhaps some of the other builders who have tried
        that can give us some input.

        BTW, I did not experience PVC melt with the cements I have used. I
        avoided the watery type and used the type with the constancy of
        (please pardon the expression) snot.

        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "amstraub2" <amstraub2@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Bill,
        >
        > I'm back working on my FD Project after a number of "interupts" and
        > apparently need to be "retrained". I recall that you filled the
        > hinge "stitch holes" with latex caulk but can't seem to find where that
        > was mentioned in the instructions. Did you fill the holes from the
        > outside before the cloth went on or from the inside before the Gorilla
        > Tape was applied. My guess is the latter, or was it both?
        >
        > Also, I plan to use the PVC Adhesive (i.e., "pipe dope") to glue the
        > cloth to the hull but will try a sample first as, while I know that the
        > glue will bond agressivly to the PVC, I'm not sure how well
        > the "melted" PVC will stick to the painted hull. I recall that others
        > have used the latex caulk instead of the pipe dope for this purpose.
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Al
        > Ann Arbor, MI

      • amstraub2
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
          Thanks Bill. Wood Glue....now I remember.

          I happened to have a couple of West System #807 plastic syringes that
          I bought at the local hardware store. I found that they seem to be
          perfect for injecting the wood glue directly into the stitch holes
          without getting the glue all over the figure 8 stitches, or my hands.
          The integral plastic tip of the syringe matches the 1/16 inch holes
          that I had drilled for the stitches.

          I suspect that a 3 cc syringe from the local drug store would also
          work. Just get the largest needle available and dull the sharp tip
          with a sharpening stone so as to avoid hurting yourself. Hope this
          info is useful for other builders.

          Regards,

          Al

          --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
          <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

          > I worked wood glue into the stitched hinge holes with my finger tips
          > as I completed short sections to assure that there is no slippage.
          Be
          > careful not to get glue where the figure "8" crosses.
          >
          > I have not never tried using caulk instead of PVC cement, so can't
          > advice you there. Perhaps some of the other builders who have tried
          > that can give us some input.
          >
          > BTW, I did not experience PVC melt with the cements I have used. I
          > avoided the watery type and used the type with the constancy of
          > (please pardon the expression) snot.
          >
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "amstraub2" <amstraub2@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Bill,
          > >
          > > I'm back working on my FD Project after a number of "interupts"
          and
          > > apparently need to be "retrained". I recall that you filled the
          > > hinge "stitch holes" with latex caulk but can't seem to find
          where that
          > > was mentioned in the instructions. Did you fill the holes from
          the
          > > outside before the cloth went on or from the inside before the
          Gorilla
          > > Tape was applied. My guess is the latter, or was it both?
          > >
          > > Also, I plan to use the PVC Adhesive (i.e., "pipe dope") to glue
          the
          > > cloth to the hull but will try a sample first as, while I know
          that the
          > > glue will bond agressivly to the PVC, I'm not sure how well
          > > the "melted" PVC will stick to the painted hull. I recall that
          others
          > > have used the latex caulk instead of the pipe dope for this
          purpose.

          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Al
          > > Ann Arbor, MI

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 5, 2008
            Sounds great. Thanks for the hint. I keep a small bucket of water
            handy but still would prefer not to have glue on my hands.