Re: PVC fabric life

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 9:56 AM
      I finally retired the PVC fabric after approximately 16 months. The
      Dacron has started to show a few separations, likely from the force
      involved, and rubbing from my fingers.

      The fabric was the one from Home Depot intended for use as a drop cloth.
      Bill

      --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
      <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

      > I have been rolling my own cigarettes for decades. The part on the
      > rolling machine called the apron would wear out on commercially made
      > machines in less than a month. Over the years I tried just about every
      > material I could find as a replacement.
      >
      > I used the same PVC laminated cloth in August of last year that I used
      > on the Flapdoodle. It lasted 6 months before hairline cracks developed
      > in the PVC, but the fabric was not only intact, but showed no wear. A
      > new one was installed, and has gone 8 months now. The hairline cracks
      > are there, but it still looks good otherwise. Estimated number of
      > times it is rolled in each direction is over 6,000 times.
      >
      > In use, the apron has to roll first in one direction, then the other
      > with tension applied as it rolls. The hairline cracks are only in the
      > area where tension is applied with the fingers. When used as a barrier
      > to water on the dinghy, it is only folded in one direction, and no
      > tension is involved.
      >
      > Bill

    • amstraub2
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 5:03 PM
        Hi Bill,

        Just to make sure I understand....you have retired the PVC cloth from
        your "rolling machine", not your Flapdoodle....right?

        I am about to apply the same cloth to my FD project and want to be
        sure that I am using the right stuff.

        Thanks,

        Al

        <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

        > I finally retired the PVC fabric after approximately 16 months. The
        > Dacron has started to show a few separations, likely from the force
        > involved, and rubbing from my fingers.
        >
        > The fabric was the one from Home Depot intended for use as a drop
        cloth.
        > Bill
        >
        > --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
        > <flapdoodle_dinghy@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have been rolling my own cigarettes for decades. The part on the
        > > rolling machine called the apron would wear out on commercially
        made
        > > machines in less than a month. Over the years I tried just about
        every
        > > material I could find as a replacement.
        > >
        > > I used the same PVC laminated cloth in August of last year that I
        used
        > > on the Flapdoodle. It lasted 6 months before hairline cracks
        developed
        > > in the PVC, but the fabric was not only intact, but showed no
        wear. A
        > > new one was installed, and has gone 8 months now. The hairline
        cracks
        > > are there, but it still looks good otherwise. Estimated number of
        > > times it is rolled in each direction is over 6,000 times.
        > >
        > > In use, the apron has to roll first in one direction, then the
        other
        > > with tension applied as it rolls. The hairline cracks are only in
        the
        > > area where tension is applied with the fingers. When used as a
        barrier
        > > to water on the dinghy, it is only folded in one direction, and no
        > > tension is involved.
        > >
        > > Bill

      • Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1 5:23 PM
          Rolling machine for sure. Not the boat. I know it is not the most
          scientific test ever made, but it impressed me a lot. The other option
          would be to make some automated device that stressed the fabric over a
          period of time. It is the best I can do.

          Bill

          --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "amstraub2" <amstraub2@...>