A tip for that perfect final coat

  • jakelakecake
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
      I cut my panels two weeks ago. It being late winter, I have been
      frustrated with a lack of decent finishing temperatures, as most of
      my finishing activities are outdoors (under light cover). To make
      matters worse, I have been having a devil of a time getting the
      perfect finish on my Spar Urethane endeavors. I have applied 4 coats
      on each piece, sanding between coats with 400 grit. Although it gets
      better each time, I find that the urethane has little bumps in it as
      it dries, no matter what application method I use. So today I tried
      a little experiment.
      I applied one final coat with a nice, expensive brush. After it
      had dried hard, I sanded with 400 grit again. That took all sheen
      out of the finish (I'm using the satin formula). I got it nice and
      smooth, and then hit it with 0000 steel wool. Then came the
      experiment. I had some car polish (the brand was called Scratch
      Doctor) that works the same as car wax: you apply it, let it haze
      over, and then hand-buff it out. When I finished the process, I was
      left with the most beautiful, perfect, satin shine I've ever gotten
      in any woodworking to date. I imagine that if one used the gloss
      urethane, it would give that grand-piano gloss that drives some
      people wild. This method would also work pretty well to take out
      scuffs from underwater branches, docks, etc. Hope this makes
      someone's day as great as it made mine!

      Jake
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2008
        Thanks for sharing that with us Jake.

        I know the feeling. Last year I would drag the panels out and put them
        in the back of the pickup to let them get some sunshine. Then the wind
        came up and I had to fish all the panels out of the trees.

        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "jakelakecake"