PVC fabric life

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      I have been rolling my own cigarettes for decades. The part on the
      rolling machine called the apron would wear out on commercially made
      machines in less than a month. Over the years I tried just about every
      material I could find as a replacement.

      I used the same PVC laminated cloth in August of last year that I used
      on the Flapdoodle. It lasted 6 months before hairline cracks developed
      in the PVC, but the fabric was not only intact, but showed no wear. A
      new one was installed, and has gone 8 months now. The hairline cracks
      are there, but it still looks good otherwise. Estimated number of
      times it is rolled in each direction is over 6,000 times.

      In use, the apron has to roll first in one direction, then the other
      with tension applied as it rolls. The hairline cracks are only in the
      area where tension is applied with the fingers. When used as a barrier
      to water on the dinghy, it is only folded in one direction, and no
      tension is involved.

      Bill
    • Bill
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2008
        I finally retired the PVC fabric after approximately 16 months. The
        Dacron has started to show a few separations, likely from the force
        involved, and rubbing from my fingers.

        The fabric was the one from Home Depot intended for use as a drop cloth.
        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
        <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

        > I have been rolling my own cigarettes for decades. The part on the
        > rolling machine called the apron would wear out on commercially made
        > machines in less than a month. Over the years I tried just about every
        > material I could find as a replacement.
        >
        > I used the same PVC laminated cloth in August of last year that I used
        > on the Flapdoodle. It lasted 6 months before hairline cracks developed
        > in the PVC, but the fabric was not only intact, but showed no wear. A
        > new one was installed, and has gone 8 months now. The hairline cracks
        > are there, but it still looks good otherwise. Estimated number of
        > times it is rolled in each direction is over 6,000 times.
        >
        > In use, the apron has to roll first in one direction, then the other
        > with tension applied as it rolls. The hairline cracks are only in the
        > area where tension is applied with the fingers. When used as a barrier
        > to water on the dinghy, it is only folded in one direction, and no
        > tension is involved.
        >
        > Bill

      • amstraub2
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2008
          Hi Bill,

          Just to make sure I understand....you have retired the PVC cloth from
          your "rolling machine", not your Flapdoodle....right?

          I am about to apply the same cloth to my FD project and want to be
          sure that I am using the right stuff.

          Thanks,

          Al

          <flapdoodle_dinghy@...> wrote:

          > I finally retired the PVC fabric after approximately 16 months. The
          > Dacron has started to show a few separations, likely from the force
          > involved, and rubbing from my fingers.
          >
          > The fabric was the one from Home Depot intended for use as a drop
          cloth.
          > Bill
          >
          > --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "Bill"
          > <flapdoodle_dinghy@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have been rolling my own cigarettes for decades. The part on the
          > > rolling machine called the apron would wear out on commercially
          made
          > > machines in less than a month. Over the years I tried just about
          every
          > > material I could find as a replacement.
          > >
          > > I used the same PVC laminated cloth in August of last year that I
          used
          > > on the Flapdoodle. It lasted 6 months before hairline cracks
          developed
          > > in the PVC, but the fabric was not only intact, but showed no
          wear. A
          > > new one was installed, and has gone 8 months now. The hairline
          cracks
          > > are there, but it still looks good otherwise. Estimated number of
          > > times it is rolled in each direction is over 6,000 times.
          > >
          > > In use, the apron has to roll first in one direction, then the
          other
          > > with tension applied as it rolls. The hairline cracks are only in
          the
          > > area where tension is applied with the fingers. When used as a
          barrier
          > > to water on the dinghy, it is only folded in one direction, and no
          > > tension is involved.
          > >
          > > Bill

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2008
            Rolling machine for sure. Not the boat. I know it is not the most
            scientific test ever made, but it impressed me a lot. The other option
            would be to make some automated device that stressed the fabric over a
            period of time. It is the best I can do.

            Bill

            --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "amstraub2" <amstraub2@...>