Completed dimensions?

  • s_m_bergeron
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2011
      What is the size of the completed boat? Length and width...how wide are the oar sockets?

      I am looking for a rowing pram and this may be the one.

      Steve B
    • flapdoodle_dinghy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
        Hi Steve,

        Figure a few inches short of 8 feet by 4 feet at the widest. There is a slight dimensional variation due to wood stiffness. Some builders have used a wider keel, but I have not tried that.

        Bill

        --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "s_m_bergeron" <steve.m.bergeron@...> wrote:

        > What is the size of the completed boat? Length and width...how wide are the oar sockets?
        >
        > I am looking for a rowing pram and this may be the one.
        >
        > Steve B

      • Steve Bergeron
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
          Thank you.  I will probably order plans tonight.

          Steve

          On Sep 1, 2011, at 2:11 AM, "flapdoodle_dinghy" <flap@...> wrote:

          Hi Steve,

          Figure a few inches short of 8 feet by 4 feet at the widest. There is a slight dimensional variation due to wood stiffness. Some builders have used a wider keel, but I have not tried that.

          Bill

          --- In flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com, "s_m_bergeron" <steve.m.bergeron@...> wrote:

          > What is the size of the completed boat? Length and width...how wide are the oar sockets?
          >
          > I am looking for a rowing pram and this may be the one.
          >
          > Steve B

        • michael pollard
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2011
            I made mine initially at plan size but couldn't fold the boat with just hardwood inwhales. Made another keel at four and a half inches, but could only get a one eigth inch gunwhale to fold. Make the keel 5" wide as folding will be difficult otherwise. This will mean bow/stern/thwart/rear seat etc will have to be tailored.
            Mike

            To: flapdoodle_dinghy@yahoogroups.com
            From: steve.m.bergeron@...
            Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2011 12:10:01 -0700