Carrying capacity

  • graham Holland
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2010
      I have the plans and have perused the web site, but I can't find any info on its carrying capacity other than a reference to a test load of 420 lbs. Will it carry two 160 lbs adults, with the passenger sitting on the rear deck? Will it be well balanced - and safe!

      Graham
    • flapdoodle_dinghy
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2010
        Hi Graham,
        It would not be balance or safe.
        Guessing, I would say that would put about 300 pounds just a few inches from the stern, which would try to make the boat stand on end. I have seen canoes do that.

        The test with 420# was as evenly distributed as I could get it. 180# on the center seat with a 52# battery just behind it. Me on the rear deck, and gear in front of the center seat. It did just fine. Wind was about 20MPH gusting to 25 or so.

        Legally you could get away with that in protected water, but would risk a ticket from the Coast Guard in some waters in the US.

        Bill