15605Freight Photos From The FJ&G

    Oct 27, 2013
      Hello people,

      Yes, the freight photos from my rail-blog have been removed.  I know people are upset (judging by emails), but let me explain...

      A couple people in the group were worried about the photos I posted.  It seems that right after I uploaded the blog, someone (I don't know who, to tell the truth) took some of the photos and posted them on their website.  They didn't ask for permission, but they did credit my Rail-Page.  They also took some of our group messages on the subject and posted that crediting Yahoogroups.

      Someone from our group is concerned that our identities are being robbed or something.  Also, they think someone may try to use the photos from Eber Davis and make duplications.

      Well, I think it's all a little too much worrying and think there is no big harm there.  I make the photos on my page for enjoyment at a low resolution...an attempt to discourage duplication.

      Heck, anytime someone gives me permission to post their photos I make them 72 dpi and no more than 800 pixels wide.  That is not good enough for prints, sorry, but they are not.

      Since they are not my photos (I was given permission to share them years ago by the photographer) I'm not going to argue the point, so I removed them with a deadline.

      Now, I came up with an idea.  I created another FJ&G Yahoo Group, one for photos only.  Also, it was private and not just anyone can access them.  I am basically going to give out memberships to current group members.  I guess that isn't an option since I sent out two invitations and I don't think these people were able to join.

      I'll figure something else out!!!

      Let me say this.....I love railroads and I love the FJ&G.  I love rail pictures, new and old.  I enjoy sharing photos from my collection and others of course.  But, sometime I've got to stop and wonder why it is ever a big deal just posting photos of an old railroad.  Jeesh, I mean, it's not like I'm posting the script for the next Star Wars Movies, no, it's just old photos.  If I post photos that I've taken, heck, take the photo, repost it and if you could sell one of the photos, then wow!  But, I suck as a photographer and I don't have to worry about it!  Sorry, but 2 years with Frank Ambrose wasn't enough for me!

      Ok, most of all, I apologize for such a long message.  Also, I resect people's opinions on photo collections and the web and sharing.

      Finally, this is a bunch of rambling, so goodnight!!!!

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic