      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: dsplittgerber1@...
      Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 07:45:33 -0400
      Subject: Re: [FJGRailroad] Freight On The FJ&G

      Paul, Did Milligan & Higgins use there own Tractor (Truck) to pull them off the TOFC cars or did the FJ&G own an old Truck and just spot the trailers? Sounds like the B&M was leasing spare trailers from the Railway Express Agency.

      Deano

      Dean J. Splittgerber
      Duanesburg, NY

      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 15, 2013, at 11:46 PM, Paul Larner <pklarner@...> wrote:

      The ramp was installed in January of 1963; article in the Leader-Herald for Saturday, Jan 19, 1963 says in was installed in the previous week.  Photos believed to be the first trailers unloaded were taken in February of 1963;  REAZ 451600 first off followed by REAZ 421596.  These were gondola style trailers leased by the B&M, used for hauling glue stock for Milligan & Higgins, the glue factory on Maple Avenue, Johnstown.  Although not located on the railroad they were always one of the railroad's reliable receivers of raw material.  For years they took their raw stock at the team track at Townsend Avenue in Johnstown.

      Special arrangements were made with NYC to expedite piggy-back shipments, which were intended to be off-loaded as soon as placed at the ramp.

      FJ&G went to considerable expense purchasing a prefab steel ramp rather than constructing one from timbers and gravel.

      PKL

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: fjgrailroad@...
      Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2013 21:21:05 -0400

      Somewhere there is a photo of the guys installing that piggyback ramp in Gloversville.  I want to say 1965, but may be off a year or two.  Paul can elaborate for sure!

      Gino

      On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 6:34 AM, Dean J. Splittgerber <dsplittgerber1@...> wrote:

      Wow "TOFC" on the FJ&G....Never knew that!

      Great Set of images! Thanks again!

      Dean J. Splittgerber
      Duanesburg, NY

      Sent from my iPad

      On Oct 14, 2013, at 9:21 PM, "Gino's Railpage" <fjgrailroad@...> wrote:

      Part 2 of our look at Freight service on the FJ&G Railroad has been posted.  Last week we looked at the days before 1974 and the Delaware Otsego System, today we look at 1974 to 1984, the last year of operation...

      http://fjgrr.org
      http://ginosrailpage.com
      http://ginostrolleypage.com
      http://ginosrailblog.blogspot.com/