Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

15572RE: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Customers

Expand Messages
  • Paul Larner
    Oct 9, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      There are photos of the outbound movement, just can't place them; have never seen any of the inbound.  Before they put up a fence to protect trespassers from the tower, a friend and myself managed to make to the 23rd and 24th, respectively, of those thirty foot sections before we were caught.  Had not a bunch of local kids at the base raised a ruckus (or maybe one of them was smarter than us and turned us in) alerting the guy in the building there what we were up to (oops, that was not an intended pun) I really think we would have gone to the top and probably frozen up there.  That was a  steel ladder up the center with grating for rest stops maybe every ten sections - we had switched position twice.  The view ,fantastic as I recall.   Needless to say he wasn't very happy when he hollered at us.  We received given quite an education about the dangers of climbing that high up, not just the impact of falling but the reality of grown men assigned to work up there mentally freezing and having to be rescued.  And the fellow who scared us back down was really quite calm in talking to us.  I am confident the fence went up very soon after.
      There are photographic images of about every type of car the FJ&G railroad carried and at placement from the early fifties to the end, which would preferably be posted to albums on this Yahoo membership site.  Eber Davis had a modeler's interest in the railroad, concentrating on the traffic and all the buildings, along the route.   We owe him gratitude for his dedication to recording the images of the FJ&G for over thirty years.

      To: FJGRailroad@yahoogroups.com
      From: akeller_1979@...
      Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 19:48:36 -0700
      Subject: [FJGRailroad] Re: FJ&G Customers


      Re:  the WTEN antenna, I have heard the same thing, and I do not think I heard it from you.  

      How the tower arrived is up for debate; however, I do know it was shipped out via rail when it was dismantled.  

      The July 2, 1965, and the August 20, 1965 editions of the Leader-Herald state that the tower was shipped out by rail in thirty-foot sections when it was dismantled.  This must have been some accomplishment, as the tower was 1,340 feet high and contained a 60-foot antenna on its top.  That leaves 1,280 feet to be shipped by rail.  In thirty-foot sections, that's roughly 43 sections.  

      I am surprised that we do not have photos of such a move; it must have been substantial (or, at least rare) for the railroad and there were plenty of photographers active on the line in 1965.  Since the dismantling occurred over time, it is doubtful that the entire move occurred at once; maybe the railroad hauled two or three cars a day?  

      The articles state that the WTEN tower went to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill market.  The articles do not state which station bought the tower, though a tower height query and/or a license query through the FCC might provide details.  

      If the tower shipped out via rail, might it have arrived via rail?  It is possible.  


    • Show all 9 messages in this topic