15501Re: FJ&G Dispatching

    Jun 15, 2013
      This raises another interesting question about the use of radios on the railroad.  When did it start, and how were they used?  Did the diesels arrive with radios installed, thus beginning the "Radio Equipped" era on the FJ&G?

      A newspaper account exists detailing a string of vandalism on the railroad at some point in the 50s or 60s.  Damaged were several locations on the railroad right of way proper AND the railroad's radio repeter, which was listed as having been installed on Ayers Hill.  I always thought this was odd, as normally kids vandalizing a railroad switch or boxcar would not then travel to a point not actually on the right of way to damage communications circuits.  I never fully researched the incident to ascertain whether arrests were made.  It's been ten years since I've read those articles.

      To the topic at hand, did the railroad go "dark" after the repeater was damaged?

      And when DO came onto the scene, my understanding is that the crews had to dial in Cooperstown via the locomotive radios.  Where was the repeater or repeaters for this system and what was the range?  (The Saratoga & North Creek roughly uses the same type of set up to dial Iowa-Pacific dispatchers in Chicago.)