RE: [fitnesse] FitLibrary in Ruby?

  • Dassing, Andrew
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
      Is RubyFIT not what you are looknig for?  (See http://rubyforge.org/projects/fit/)

      FitLibrary, mostly a collection of base fixtures and special page processing, works in conjunction with FitNesse as a wiki engine, so a port of FitNesse to Ruby may not fit (p.i.) your requirements.

      If you are looking for a testing mechanism that is in a "domain-specific language" such as Ruby, then RubyFIT may be your solution.

      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello all,
        I'm trying to set up FitNesse for a new project and I can't seem to get to fitnesse.org.  Does anyone know what's going on with the site?

        -Tracy Beeson

      • Mario Aquino
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
          I have never used RubyFIT. I assumed that it was a port of the Java version
          of FIT. I like the flow-style FIT testing that is only possible with
          FitLibrary extensions like DoFixture. ActionFixture-style tests don't have
          the same readability (IMHO). On my project, we don't use FitNesse but
          rather Excel-based FIT tests executed from the folder runner. Are you
          saying that this can be done with what is available in RubyFIT? If so, I
          would love to see an example.

          Thanks,

          --Mario

          Dassing, Andrew wrote:

          > Is RubyFIT not what you are looknig for? (See
          > http://rubyforge.org/projects/fit/)
          >
          > FitLibrary, mostly a collection of base fixtures and special page
          > processing, works in conjunction with FitNesse as a wiki engine, so a
          > port of FitNesse to Ruby may not fit (p.i.) your requirements.
          >
          > If you are looking for a testing mechanism that is in a "domain-specific
          > language" such as Ruby, then RubyFIT may be your solution.
          >
          > ________________________________

        • Dassing, Andrew
          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
            Alas, you'll have to wait for the RubyFitLibrary, if it becomes available, to get all of the features you desire.

            href="http://rubyforge.org/projects/fit/">http://rubyforge. org/projects/ fit/)

            ____________ _________ _________ __

            href="mailto:fitnesse%40yahoogroups.com">fitnesse@yahoogroup s.com [mailto:fitnesse@yahoogroup s.com] On

            www.rimuresearch. com
            >> www.zibreve. com
            >>

            > --

          • Ryan McCullough
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
              Seems like the web server isn't working. The connection is accepted, but no response is given when the page is requested.
              U:\TMP>wget fitnesse.org
              --11:15:59--  http://fitnesse.org/
                         => `index.html'
              Resolving fitnesse.org... 67.153.232.119
              Connecting to fitnesse.org|67.153.232.119|:80... connected.
              HTTP request sent, awaiting response...

              You can download fitnesse from sourceforge though:
              http://sourceforge.net/projects/fitnesse/

              On 10/1/07, T Beeson <beesontrm@...> wrote:
              Hello all,
              I'm trying to set up FitNesse for a new project and I can't seem to get to fitnesse.org.  Does anyone know what's going on with the site?

              -Tracy Beeson

              Ryan McCullough
              mailto:rmccullough@...
            • T Beeson
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 1, 2007
                Thanks Ryan,
                So I've actually never set this up before.  With the site down I can't get to any of the documentation.  Does that live somewhere else?  Do you know?  Or is there anyone who can point us in the right direction?

                -Tracy

                On 10/1/07, T Beeson <beesontrm@yahoo. com> wrote:
                Hello all,
                I'm trying to set up FitNesse for a new project and I can't seem to get to fitnesse.org.  Does anyone know what's going on with the site?

                -Tracy Beeson

                Ryan McCullough
                mailto:rmccullough@ gmail.com

                Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.

              • Ryan McCullough

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 2, 2007
                    I know all about it!  Well, as much as anyone could.  I am a part-time admin-in-{training,residence,practice}.  I am the guy who restarted it this morning. We're all gigging Agile consultants, out of town more often than not, and this time we had to have someone on-site to get it running again.

                    Every so often on the scale of weeks or months,  the fitNesse software is getting wedged.  When it does, I don't get the high utilization that I would expect from a runaway recursive process or some kind of busy wait or infinite loop. It doesn't chew up memory. It simply stops responding to messages.  When I can characterize the problem better we'll try to get it fixed in a proper, professional way.

                    In the meantime, you might be g to know I have a watchdog process running now, and when/if FitNesse.org wedges again, it should be taken down and restarted within two or three minutes.  No more multi-hour outages should be experienced.

                    Sorry for the trouble it caused you.

                    Apologetically/Sympathetically,
                    tim
                  • Bob Payne
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 3, 2007
                      Agile Planning/Rails Training in Washington DC, November 1-4

                      Ever wanted an Agile Planning/Development class with a real customer.
                      Interested in learning Rails Development working from real examples
                      on a real Open Source project.

                      Real Training
                      Real Projects
                      Real Impact
                      ... Get Real!

                      -------- THE LAB ---------

                      Code Green Labs (http://codegreenlabs.com) is offering Agile Planning/
                      Rails Lab in Washington DC, November, 1-4, 2007.
                      This lab will be held on the campus of Georgetown University and is
                      hosted by the Center for New Designs in Learning and
                      Scholarship.

                      During this lab we will work directly with Segundo Velasquez from
                      Mano a Mano to define the first release of their Donor
                      Information and Online Donation application. Mano a Mano will use
                      this application to communicate the status of their
                      many ongoing projects to donors and potential donors. This
                      application will be released as an Open Source project to help
                      other not for profits achieve their goals. The mission of Mano a
                      Mano Medical Resources is to create partnerships with
                      impoverished Bolivian communities that improve health and increase
                      economic well-being. Mano a Mano has been guided
                      by the simple yet powerful premise that groups of committed
                      volunteers can reach across national boundaries to make a
                      dramatic difference in the lives of others.

                      Segundo gave and interview and talk at Agile2007 and that interview
                      can be found here.

                      http://agiletoolkit.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=255315

                      -------- SCHEDULE AND COST ---------

                      November 1 - Agile Planning Lab
                      - Envisioning, Story Writing, Estimation, Release Planning,
                      Customer Test Definintion
                      November 2-4 - Agile Rails Lab
                      - Agile Software Development Practices and Rails Development
                      Attend both Labs and save $300
                      Users Group members get an additional 15% off by using the discount
                      code: codegreendc

                      Visit http://codegreenlabs.com for more information

                      -------- WHO SHOULD ATTEND ---------

                      Since software teams are made up of many different disciplines we
                      welcome the participation of anyone interested in learning Agile
                      Software Delivery including:

                      - Developers
                      - Testers
                      - Analysts
                      - Managers
                      - Apprentice Agile Coaches

                      -------- CODE GREEN LABS ---------

                      We are dedicated to creating a unique training experience that uses
                      real projects with real deliverables. Labs work on projects that make
                      a difference in the world, benefiting organizations that are working
                      to improve the environment, human rights, social justice, health and
                      economic development. By marrying the efforts of dedicated
                      professionals learning Agile Development techniques with not for
                      profit and research communities that need high quality software, we
                      hope to be a small part of a positive change. Each training class
                      will work on a specific software project for a specific cause.

                      For more information contact me.
                      Bob Payne
                      Host AgileToolkit Podcast
                      202-903-6854
                      bob (at) electroglide.biz
                    • Rick Mugridge
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 3, 2007
                        There are other tools that use plain text for storytests. I don't know of any in Ruby.

                        However, the text in such tools is either very restricted in form (pretty much like an assembler language) or has a formal syntax with special symbols such as quote and comma. This makes it look like a programming language, as it has to be parsed, with syntax errors and all that. This is OK for a person with a technical background to handle. But in that case, in my view, you'd be better off using Ruby directly. Then you have the full expressive power of the programming language.

                        Fit makes use of the structure of tables as the "formal syntax", to make it easier for non-technical people, such as XP Customer, to write and/or read storytests. The tables also provide a structure in which to provide reports, which is not so easy to do with plain text.

                        Cheers, Rick

                        Rick Mugridge wrote:

                        > I've been thinking about writing part of FitLibrary in Ruby (written
                        > afresh in Ruby - not a port). I'd start with DoFixture and expand from
                        > there.
                        >
                        > How much interest is there in an open-source Ruby version of FitLibrary?
                        >
                        > Cheers, Rick
                        > www.rimuresearch. com
                        > www.zibreve. com

                      • Rick Mugridge
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 3, 2007
                          FitLibrary in Java (and other languages) extends the basic Fit mechanism with additional fixtures. I was proposing to provide a version of DoFixture for Ruby, which would build on the RubyFit implementation.

                          FitLibrary also happens to provide batch processing of tests with FolderRunner. But FolderRunner works independently of FitNesse and FitLibrary has no influence on the wiki engine.

                          Cheers, Rick

                          Rick Mugridge wrote:

                          > I've been thinking about writing part of FitLibrary in Ruby (written
                          > afresh in Ruby - not a port). I'd start with DoFixture and expand from
                          > there.
                          >
                          > How much interest is there in an open-source Ruby version of FitLibrary?
                          >
                          > Cheers, Rick
                          > www.rimuresearch. com
                          > www.zibreve. com

                        • Peter Walker
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 3, 2007

                            What version of fitnesse are you running on fitnesse.org?

                          • timander37
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 27, 2008
                              Rick, I know this is kind of an old post, but I wanted to let you know
                              that I would be interested in a Ruby FitLibrary.

                              Tim