Very Slow Virtual Wiki pages.

  • alan_in_2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
      I'm new to using finesse, so maybe I've done something strange but
      there seems to be a chronic speed problem with Virtual pages that
      have either the "Suite" or the "Test" properties set.

      Actually, this isn't always the case - it seems to work fine when
      tested on my own network (or even running borh local and remote
      servers on my laptop).

      However, on my client's equipment (which is somewhat more powerful)
      the problem is there and repeatable. Even with both servers on the
      local box and using the IP address directly it takes around 20
      *minutes* to load each such page.

      I don't see how it can be the client's network setup that is at issue
      because pages without the "Suite" or the "Test" properties are
      displayed quickly (well under a second) - even the very same pages.

      Does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for?
    • jbrekke@wi.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
        We've seen similar problems and I *think* it may be related to
        virtualizing a large chunk of the remote site. For example our site
        is setup like this:

        Company -> Variables defined in this page.
        ClassPath
        Test Contents Page
        Suite1
        Test
        Test
        Test
        Suite
        Test
        Test
        Suite
        Test
        Test
        Test
        Test
        Suite
        .
        .
        .

        In our ClassPath page we use variables to define the paths. So if we
        virtual wiki to the Company page we only have to define *where* our
        jars are and reuse the ClassPath defined on the server. We use a
        !contents then to get access to all the tests and suites through the
        VW. Using this method loading pages is *very slow*. Slow enough for
        our users to not want to use Fitnesse at all ( hence not write CT's! ).

        Now if I VW directly to the Test or Suite level, define my own
        variables and ClassPath page on my local Fitnesse instance, it is as
        fast as the real Fitnesse server. I haven't looked into the code to
        try to track this down or verify where/what the issue is. Needless to
        say, we no longer VW to the Company page at all and just VW to the
        test or suite we happen to be working on.

        So my advice to you is try to VW directly to the test page or one
        level above it and see if that is faster. I don't use !contents then
        either, but just use the ^TestPageName notation locally. I don't
        think it matters though.

        > I'm new to using finesse, so maybe I've done something strange but
        > there seems to be a chronic speed problem with Virtual pages that
        > have either the "Suite" or the "Test" properties set.

        > Actually, this isn't always the case - it seems to work fine when
        > tested on my own network (or even running borh local and remote
        > servers on my laptop).

        > However, on my client's equipment (which is somewhat more powerful)
        > the problem is there and repeatable. Even with both servers on the
        > local box and using the IP address directly it takes around 20
        > *minutes* to load each such page.

        > I don't see how it can be the client's network setup that is at
        > issue because pages without the "Suite" or the "Test" properties are
        > displayed quickly (well under a second) - even the very same pages.

        > Does anyone have an idea what I should be looking for?

        Jeffrey D. Brekke jbrekke@...
        Wisconsin, USA brekke@...
        ekkerbj@...
      • alan_in_2003
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2003
          --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, jbrekke@w... wrote:

          > We've seen similar problems and I *think* it may be related to
          > virtualizing a large chunk of the remote site.

          That isn't the case - it happens on a page I set up to try things
          out. The page only has a couple of words on it (and there are no
          subpages).

          > Now if I VW directly to the Test or Suite level

          Curiously, that is what I was doing originally when I discovered the
          problem.

          > , define my own
          > variables and ClassPath page on my local Fitnesse instance, it is as
          > fast as the real Fitnesse server.

          And that is what I see on my own kit. :(

          > So my advice to you is try to VW directly to the test page or one
          > level above it and see if that is faster. I don't use !contents
          then
          > either, but just use the ^TestPageName notation locally. I don't
          > think it matters though.

          It doesn't seem to matter. It doesn't seem to be content related -
          only the Suite or Test properties effect a change.
        • Robert Martin (UncleBob)
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 6, 2003
            Make very sure that you have no loops of virtual pages, or any "backwards"
            pointing pages.

            For example, if page A.B.C has a virtual link back to page A, then you have
            a loop. The loops just run and run forever consuming lots of time and
            memory.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • alan_in_2003
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2003
              --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Martin (UncleBob)"
              <UncleBob@o...> wrote:
              > Make very sure that you have no loops of virtual pages, or
              any "backwards"
              > pointing pages.
              >
              > For example, if page A.B.C has a virtual link back to page A, then
              you have
              > a loop. The loops just run and run forever consuming lots of time
              and
              > memory.

              I don't *think* that is my problem either. When investigating I was
              just setting up a dummy page on the "remote" server and linking to it.

              However, on reinstalling fitnesse and rebuilding the pages I
              encountered no problems. Things are now working as expected. (Would
              be good it I had an idea why.)

              --
              Alan
              http://www.octopull.demon.co.uk/