Unicode problem with fitnesse

  • mcholm73
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hi, Im using fitnesse for a small inhouse project where we are using
      VS2005 and C# on a MySQL db. Everyting works fine except the fact that
      Im sitting in Sweden handling Swedish names to check in Fitnesse. In
      swedish names we use the capitals å, ä, ö. But when displayed in
      Fitnesse it shows up as ??. This means of course that all testcases
      using these capitals will fail. Im using the latest version of
      Fitnesse released from the fitnesse.org website.

      Anyone who knows how to solve this problem?

      Thanks
      Mathias
    • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
        That sounds like a bug: since FitNesse is a Java program
        it uses Unicode strings, so replacing non-Ascii
        characters with ?? means it's going through some
        routine that's only expecting Ascii.

        However, there's a second problem with the FIT
        program: it only accepts ASCII characters in labels
        that use the camel or Graceful Names routines.

        It's not easy to get around this restriction. FitLibrary
        uses a variant that will let you use any Unicode
        characters, and Python FIT (as of 0.8) gives you
        an option to use Unicode anywhere. Neither of them
        is precisely easy to use; the best that can be said is
        that they're better than not having the option.

        John Roth
        Python FIT

        We have the same problems in switzerland. We setteled with avoiding our ö,
        ä, ü letters.

        Stephan

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Micah Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
          FitNesse supports Unicode.  However not all implementations of FIT support Unicode.  Apparently the .NET version that comes with FitNesse does provide unicode support.

          Micah Martin

          Object Mentor, Inc.

          www.objectmentor.com

          On Feb 1, 2006, at 6:05 AM, mcholm73 wrote:

          Hi, Im using fitnesse for a small inhouse project where we are using
          VS2005 and C# on a MySQL db. Everyting works fine except the fact that
          Im sitting in Sweden handling Swedish names to check in Fitnesse. In
          swedish names we use the capitals å, ä, ö. But when displayed in
          Fitnesse it shows up as ??. This means of course that all testcases
          using these capitals will fail. Im using the latest version of
          Fitnesse released from the fitnesse.org website.

          Anyone who knows how to solve this problem?

          Thanks
          Mathias

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • David Chelimsky
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2006
            Micah Martin wrote:
            > FitNesse supports Unicode. However not all implementations of FIT
            > support Unicode. Apparently the .NET version that comes with FitNesse
            > does provide unicode support.
            The version from the last release doesn't, however the current source
            drop does. You can get it at http://fitnesse.org/FitNesse.SourceCode.

            Enjoy!

            David
          • mcholm73
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2006
              I am already using "fitnesse_src20060105.zip" without it I cant get it
              to work on .Net code. However the unicode problem still exists.