The pipe has been ended

  • Mark W. Windholtz <mark@objectwind.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      First of all,
      This is a really cool framework!
      Thanks to ObjectMentor for making it available.

      Second, I get an error that says: "The pipe has been ended"
      Previously I have run a CalenderFixture directly from fit.
      That worked fine.

      Now I'm trying to run it from a page called:
      CalenderProject.FirstTest
      The page contents is:

      | !-fit.ActionFixture-! |
      | start | !-cal.CalenderFixture-! |
      | check | countOfEvents | 0 |

      !r cal.CalenderFixture
      !r fit.ActionFixture

      I've added the following to ClassPath:
      !path E:\eclipse\workspace\Calender

      I've tried each of the !r wigets but both of them result in the
      following:
      Run Error
      Exceptions occurred during the execution of the supplied command

      Exceptions:

      java.io.IOException: The pipe has been ended
      java.io.FileOutputStream.writeBytes(Native Method)
      java.io.FileOutputStream.write(FileOutputStream.java:257)
      java.io.BufferedOutputStream.write
      (BufferedOutputStream.java:109)
      java.io.FilterOutputStream.write(FilterOutputStream.java:80)
      fitnesse.components.CommandRunner$1.run(CommandRunner.java:93)

      The Fixture is:
      package cal;
      import fit.*;
      public class CalenderFixture extends ActionFixture
      {
      Calender cal = new Calender();

      public int countOfEvents()
      { return cal.countOfEvents();
      }
      }

      Any Ideas??
      - Mark.
    • Mark W. Windholtz <mark@objectwind.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        --- Mark Windholtz wrote:
        > I get an error that says: "The pipe has been ended"
        > Previously I have run a CalenderFixture directly from fit.
        > That worked fine.

        Heres more info:
        I ran the example in FitNesse.ColumnFixture.
        It worked as expected.

        Then I copied the content of the table to a new page.
        |eg.Division|
        |numerator|denominator|quotient()|
        |100|4|25|
        |100|4|26|

        !r fitnesse.FitFilter
        When I try to run this I now again
        get "The pipe has been ended".

        -Mark
      • Robert Martin UncleBob
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
          Mark,

          Comments inserted below.

          Thanks for the encouragement. It's been fun writing this; and we are
          continuing to add features daily.

          > Second, I get an error that says: "The pipe has been ended"
          > Previously I have run a CalenderFixture directly from fit.
          > That worked fine.

          You get this error when you try to execute a java program that fails to read
          from standard input, or write to standard output. The pipes that connect
          FitNesse to that program clog up and break.

          > Now I'm trying to run it from a page called:
          > CalenderProject.FirstTest
          > The page contents is:
          >
          > | !-fit.ActionFixture-! |
          > | start | !-cal.CalenderFixture-! |
          > | check | countOfEvents | 0 |
          >
          > !r cal.CalenderFixture
          > !r fit.ActionFixture
          >
          > I've added the following to ClassPath:
          > !path E:\eclipse\workspace\Calender

          Yeah, the !r command should run fitnesse.FitFilter, not cal.CalenderFixture.
          I'm perplexed though. I would have thought you'd have gotten an error
          telling you that 'main' couldn't be found....
        • Robert Martin UncleBob
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003

            That's something of a puzzle to me. What was the name of the page you put
            this table on? Was the ClassPath page correct?

            I pasted your tests into one of my FitNesse pages, and it seemed to work OK.

            Robert C. Martin |
            President & Founder |
            Object Mentor Inc. | unclebob @ objectmentor dot com
            PO Box 5757 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 x15