Linux?

  • Jim Weirich <jweirich@one.net>
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
      What an interesting combination of ideas ... wiki & acceptance testing
      framework. I just saw a reference to Ward's Fit framework just last
      week, but hadn't had a chance to look at it until now.

      I've tried to run Fitnesse on a Linux laptop. The Wiki itself works
      fine, but none of the !r run commands work ... neither the built in
      examples, nor my own code. All report the following in the error
      log...

      fitnesse/testutil/Hello

      Any ideas? (Everything works fine in Windows)

      -- Jim Weirich
    • Robert C. Martin <UncleBob@objectmentor.
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
        --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Weirich <jweirich@o...>"
        <jweirich@o...> wrote:
        > What an interesting combination of ideas ... wiki & acceptance
        testing
        > framework. I just saw a reference to Ward's Fit framework just last
        > week, but hadn't had a chance to look at it until now.
        >
        > I've tried to run Fitnesse on a Linux laptop. The Wiki itself works
        > fine, but none of the !r run commands work ... neither the built in
        > examples, nor my own code. All report the following in the error
        > log...

        > fitnesse/testutil/Hello
        >
        > Any ideas? (Everything works fine in Windows)

        Hmmm. The !r command generates the following:
        java -cp <CLASSPATH> fitnesse.testutil.Hello

        I would guess that the problem is in the classpath. The Hello.class
        file has to be in the <CLASSPATH> that !r generates. !r generates
        that classpath by walking up the tree of pages and looking for
        ClassPath pages. It appends all the !path widgets and separates them
        with semicolons. (Could it be the semicolons?!!!) UNIX doesn't like
        them as I recall.
      • Jim Weirich <jweirich@one.net>
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
          --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Robert C. Martin <UncleBob@o...>"
          <UncleBob@o...> wrote:
          > --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Weirich <jweirich@o...>"
          > <jweirich@o...> wrote:
          > > Any ideas? (Everything works fine in Windows)
          >
          > Hmmm. The !r command generates the following:
          > java -cp <CLASSPATH> fitnesse.testutil.Hello
          >
          > I would guess that the problem is in the classpath. The Hello.class
          > file has to be in the <CLASSPATH> that !r generates. !r generates
          > that classpath by walking up the tree of pages and looking for
          > ClassPath pages. It appends all the !path widgets and separates them
          > with semicolons. (Could it be the semicolons?!!!) UNIX doesn't like
          > them as I recall.

          Yes. It needs to be colons on Unix (semicolons are statement
          separators). Is there a platform independent way of doing it?

          -- Jim Weirich
        • Robert Martin UncleBob
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003

            I imagine that there's an entry in System.properties?? that tells us what
            the path separator is.

            I'll take a look and let you know.

            Robert C. Martin |
            President & Founder |
            Object Mentor Inc. | unclebob @ objectmentor dot com
            PO Box 5757 | Tel: (800) 338-6716 x15
            565 Lakeview Pkwy | Fax: (847) 573-1658
            Suite 135 |
            Vernon Hills, IL, | www.objectmentor.com
            60061 |
          • Robert Martin UncleBob
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003

              Yeah, it's path.separator in System.properties.

              I'll upload a new version tonite or tomorrow.

            • Dave Astels <dave@saorsa.com>
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
                --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Robert Martin UncleBob
                <UncleBob@o...> wrote:

                > Yeah, it's path.separator in System.properties.

                I figured that's what it was... now if you had released the source as
                well I could have sent you a path this morning :-)

                > I'll upload a new version tonite or tomorrow.

                Looking forward to it.

                A work around is to put the jars in the appropriate jre/lib/exts along
                with anyother code it needs.. i.e. jar up the eg dir/package. That
                works to play around with it.

                Dave
              • Robert Martin UncleBob
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
                  > Yeah, it's path.separator in System.properties.

                  I've uploaded a new version that uses 'path.separator'.

                  Give it a try now.

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 26, 2003
                    <UncleBob@o...> wrote:

                    > > Yeah, it's path.separator in System.properties.
                    >
                    > I've uploaded a new version that uses 'path.separator'.
                    >
                    > Give it a try now.

                    Its working for me now. Thanks.

                    -- Jim Weirich
                  • Dave Astels <dave@saorsa.com>
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
                      <UncleBob@o...> wrote:

                      > I've uploaded a new version that uses 'path.separator'.
                      >
                      > Give it a try now.

                      That does it. Good stuff.

                      One initial suggestion: add some exception handling for the
                      "java.net.BindException: Address already in use" exception on startup.
                      Maybe exit, saying to use the -p option to select an unused port?

                      Also, here's run.sh for unix user's convienence:

                      --- snip
                      #!/bin/sh
                      java -cp fitnesse.jar fitnesse.Fitnesse $1 $2 $3 $4 $5
                      --- snip

                      Dave
                    • Robert Martin UncleBob
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
                        Thanks Dave!

                        Having never executed this on Linux before, I'm mildly surprised that we had
                        so few issues. There are probably more to come ;^)

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                      • Dave Astels <dave@saorsa.com>
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 27, 2003
                          <UncleBob@o...> wrote:
                          > Thanks Dave!

                          No worries. it's nice to have it packaged so nicely.

                          > Having never executed this on Linux before, I'm mildly surprised
                          > that we had so few issues.

                          If you play by the rules, Java is quite portable. Look at Together
                          (now from Borland).. huge pure Java app. One download.. runs
                          everywhere.. (well.. I've run it on Windows & Linux... ymmv).

                          > There are probably more to come ;^)

                          It's a small app... no real UI... I don't expect much. I'll be sure
                          to let you know if I find anything.

                          I'm looking forward to playing with it... now I just need the time to :-)

                          Dave