FitNesse starting up wipes out my properties.xml files

  • utahkay
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hello,

      I'm hoping to keep my wiki pages under CVS but I'm having trouble
      figuring out how to do this. When I copy the pages into the
      FitNesseRoot, I just copy the content.txt and the properties.xml, no
      zip files. They look fine at this point. Then when I start FitNesse,
      it replaces all my properties.xml files with empty ones.

      Note: When I start FitNesse, it says it's doing the following:
      Adding 'Where Used' attribute to all pages...done
      Updating pages with !virtualwiki widgets...done
      Converting properties files to XML...done

      I'm not sure how to get my files copied intact into the FitNesse wiki
      structure. If this is covered under a frequently asked questions page,
      I apologize, and could someone point me to the FAQ? I've been unable
      to find one so far.

      Thanks,
      -Kay
    • Eric Heikkila
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
        I've seen the same thing. We just check them out,
        then the properties will be 'updated' after that check
        in. Hasn't really been an issue.

        --- utahkay <kay@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm hoping to keep my wiki pages under CVS but I'm
        > having trouble
        > figuring out how to do this. When I copy the pages
        > into the
        > FitNesseRoot, I just copy the content.txt and the
        > properties.xml, no
        > zip files. They look fine at this point. Then when I
        > start FitNesse,
        > it replaces all my properties.xml files with empty
        > ones.
        >
        > Note: When I start FitNesse, it says it's doing the
        > following:
        > Adding 'Where Used' attribute to all pages...done
        > Updating pages with !virtualwiki widgets...done
        > Converting properties files to XML...done
        >
        > I'm not sure how to get my files copied intact into
        > the FitNesse wiki
        > structure. If this is covered under a frequently
        > asked questions page,
        > I apologize, and could someone point me to the FAQ?
        > I've been unable
        > to find one so far.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > -Kay

      • utahkay
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004
          I must be missing something. I've tried restarting fitnesse several
          times, but my properties.xml files remain empty.

          <?xml version="1.0"?>
          <properties/>

          not

          <?xml version="1.0"?>
          <properties>
          <Edit/>
          <Properties/>
          <Refactor/>
          <Search/>
          <Test/>
          <Versions/>
          <saveId>1096301409630</saveId>
          <ticketId>-5514153717058443620</ticketId>
          </properties>

          Anyway, I added a "properties" file (no extension) to my FitNesseRoot
          directory with the following line, PropertiesToXmlUpdate=applied

          I'm clueless as to what's going on, why this works, or what am I
          losing by hacking in this quick fix?

          -Kay

          --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Eric Heikkila <ericheikkila@y...>
          wrote:
          > I've seen the same thing. We just check them out,
          > then the properties will be 'updated' after that check
          > in. Hasn't really been an issue.
          >

          > --- utahkay <kay@x...> wrote:
          >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm hoping to keep my wiki pages under CVS but I'm
          > > having trouble
          > > figuring out how to do this. When I copy the pages
          > > into the
          > > FitNesseRoot, I just copy the content.txt and the
          > > properties.xml, no
          > > zip files. They look fine at this point. Then when I
          > > start FitNesse,
          > > it replaces all my properties.xml files with empty
          > > ones.
          > >
          > > Note: When I start FitNesse, it says it's doing the
          > > following:
          > > Adding 'Where Used' attribute to all pages...done
          > > Updating pages with !virtualwiki widgets...done
          > > Converting properties files to XML...done
          > >
          > > I'm not sure how to get my files copied intact into
          > > the FitNesse wiki
          > > structure. If this is covered under a frequently
          > > asked questions page,
          > > I apologize, and could someone point me to the FAQ?
          > > I've been unable
          > > to find one so far.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > -Kay

        • Micah Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 4, 2004
            Aha.... This left me puzzled for a while but I understand what's going
            on now.

            FitNesseRoot/properties is a properties file that FitNesse uses to keep
            track of what updates have been applied. Without it, FitNesse will
            apply all the updates on startup including the PropertiesToXmlUpdate.
            In early versions of FitNesse, the page properties were stored on disk
            as Java properties files which turned out to inconvenient. The
            PropertiesToXmlUpdate was made to convert all the existing properties
            files to XML files.

            It sounds like deleted the FitNesseRoot/properties file at some point
            and that caused FitNesse to run the updates. As a result the
            PropertiesToXmlUpdate overwrote all your existing properties.xml files.
            Hopefully you've kept a copy of FitNesseRoot with all the
            properties.xml files preserved.

            There are two way from preventing this from happening again...
            1. Keep the FitNesseRoot/properties files around so FitNesse knows
            which updates to apply
            2. Use the -o command line option when starting FitNesse to omit all
            updates from running.

            Micah Martin
            Object Mentor, Inc.
            www.objectmentor.com