Support multiple Application versions

  • dbpatel219
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2011
      Wondering what the best approach is to support multiple Application versions. Looking at refactor it seems that there is no copy feature. What I'd like to basically do is when we branch to a new Version I'd like to copy the previous versions tests over to the new Version and still keep the old scripts for supporting older application versions.

      Thanks,
      Dharmesh
    • Rick Mugridge

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
          Hi,
          Thanks for the response Rick. We are using source control but what I'm looking for is how to manage supporting multiple application versions concurrently. I'd like to be able to port over the last versions tests into the new codebase before making the mods to see which tests are still usable and which will have to be modified for the new version.

          Basically:
          Version 1 tests (Live app)
          Version 2 tests (Live app)
          Version 3 tests (Live app)

          New version 4 coming out soon - so copy over version 3 tests first then make the mods to make version 4 tests pass while still keeping version 1-3 in the wiki to continue to run against as they are still live for customers to use. We support at all times the previous X number of application versions. We can archive the older versions once we stop supporting them and remove the tests from the FitNesse Wiki.

          Any insight as to how to support multiple app versions concurrently?

          Thanks,
          dharmesh
          --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Rick Mugridge <rick@...> wrote:

          > Hi Dharmesh,
          >
          > I've found the best way is to keep the fitnesse tests in the same source
          > control system as the code. Then you can easily go back to any older (or
          > forked) version and the tests and the code will be consistent. Trying
          > the manage the version connections "by hand" will end up being a nightmare.
          >
          > Cheers, Rick
          >
          > On 4/10/2011 5:20 a.m., dbpatel219 wrote:
          > >
          > > Wondering what the best approach is to support multiple Application
          > > versions. Looking at refactor it seems that there is no copy feature.
          > > What I'd like to basically do is when we branch to a new Version I'd
          > > like to copy the previous versions tests over to the new Version and
          > > still keep the old scripts for supporting older application versions.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Dharmesh

        • Andy McMullan
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 4, 2011
            > Basically:
            > Version 1 tests (Live app)
            > Version 2 tests (Live app)
            > Version 3 tests (Live app)

            Given that FitNesse is just a bunch of files and folders, couldn't you
            achieve this through copy/paste in the file system?

            Andy
          • SellersSmith
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 5, 2011
              Dharmesh,

              My interpretation of what Rick is saying is to store the Wiki pages (test steps + data) and fixtures in your version control system. Then each test environment would have its own Wiki Server. You would deploy the appropriate test set / version to the environment. Where you created tests that applied to multiple versions, you would need to copy the tests to the different versions/branches.

              In other words, treat the test scripts and data like code belonging to a version of the application, and deploy them along with the code to any environment that you wanted to test... actually having a FitNesse server pointing to production could/would actually be a good idea.

              -Sellers

              --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, "dbpatel219" <dbpatel219@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > Thanks for the response Rick. We are using source control but what I'm looking for is how to manage supporting multiple application versions concurrently. I'd like to be able to port over the last versions tests into the new codebase before making the mods to see which tests are still usable and which will have to be modified for the new version.
              >
              > Basically:
              > Version 1 tests (Live app)
              > Version 2 tests (Live app)
              > Version 3 tests (Live app)
              >
              > New version 4 coming out soon - so copy over version 3 tests first then make the mods to make version 4 tests pass while still keeping version 1-3 in the wiki to continue to run against as they are still live for customers to use. We support at all times the previous X number of application versions. We can archive the older versions once we stop supporting them and remove the tests from the FitNesse Wiki.
              >
              > Any insight as to how to support multiple app versions concurrently?
              >

              > Thanks,
              > dharmesh
              > --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Rick Mugridge <rick@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi Dharmesh,
              > >
              > > I've found the best way is to keep the fitnesse tests in the same source
              > > control system as the code. Then you can easily go back to any older (or
              > > forked) version and the tests and the code will be consistent. Trying
              > > the manage the version connections "by hand" will end up being a nightmare.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Rick
              > >
              > > On 4/10/2011 5:20 a.m., dbpatel219 wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Wondering what the best approach is to support multiple Application
              > > > versions. Looking at refactor it seems that there is no copy feature.
              > > > What I'd like to basically do is when we branch to a new Version I'd
              > > > like to copy the previous versions tests over to the new Version and
              > > > still keep the old scripts for supporting older application versions.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > > Dharmesh

            • UdoF
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2011
                --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Andy McMullan <andymcm@...> wrote:

                > > Basically:
                > > Version 1 tests (Live app)
                > > Version 2 tests (Live app)
                > > Version 3 tests (Live app)
                >
                > Given that FitNesse is just a bunch of files and folders, couldn't you
                > achieve this through copy/paste in the file system?
                >
                > Andy

                Yeah, that is what we do. And then we use symbolic links to connect the branches to the different test systems
                Version 1 linked to Integration system
                Version 2 linked to UAT system
                Version 3 linked to Live app
                Every 8 weeks a release is going to the next stage and i change the symbolic links and make a new copy for a release.

                Udo
              • Rick Mugridge
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2011
                  Hi Dharmesh,

                  OK, so I understand that the issue is in handling the multiple versions of the app, rather than managing the tests.

                  Is it a web app? Can you have each version run off a config file that specifies a different port to run off. Then the different versions of the storytests can go to the appropriate port for that version. But your web app can't depend on other global resources that could cause conflicts. Eg, each would need to have its own database. Eg, each would have to access any files in a relative way, so that are kept independent.

                  So it may require some changes to your app to avoid these problems. One way around these problems is to run each version of your web app on a different machine and encode the appropriate host in the url you use in your tests.

                  If it's an app, you'd need a separate copy of it to be run for each version. This doesn't require configuration, because it can be run from a relative directory. But any global resource conflicts apply just as with web apps. Worse case, you'd need to run them on separate machines.

                  I assume that you'd run the suites for the different versions separately. It's likely to be tricky to set them up to all run off a single suite.

                  Cheers, Rick