fitnesse for pocketpc

  • womble_42
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2 9:42 AM
      Trying to get fitnesse to run on a pocketPC environment.
      Using IBM's J9 Java VM, the first thing I run into is:

      java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.regex.Pattern

      So this tells me that fitnesse is not designed to work with j2me.
      What I want to know is the feasability of making the changes that
      would allow fitnesse to run in a j2me environment. Are we looking at
      impossible: the functionality is not present in j2me for fitnesse to
      ever run, difficult: getting fitnesse to run in the j2me environment
      would take me years to code, or "I don't know, let me get back to you"?

      An even better answer would be download this and it will work, but I
      haven't seen any discussion about testing in the pocketPC environment
      or even any j2me environment(linux handhelds etc.).
    • yahoogroups@jhrothjr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2 10:41 AM
        > Trying to get fitnesse to run on a pocketPC environment.
        > Using IBM's J9 Java VM, the first thing I run into is:
        >
        > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.regex.Pattern
        >
        > So this tells me that fitnesse is not designed to work with j2me.
        > What I want to know is the feasability of making the changes that
        > would allow fitnesse to run in a j2me environment. Are we looking at
        > impossible: the functionality is not present in j2me for fitnesse to
        > ever run, difficult: getting fitnesse to run in the j2me environment
        > would take me years to code, or "I don't know, let me get back to you"?
        >
        > An even better answer would be download this and it will work, but I
        > haven't seen any discussion about testing in the pocketPC environment
        > or even any j2me environment(linux handhelds etc.).

        Is there any reason why you need to run FitNesse in that
        environment? Do you do your development in that
        environment? I can see wanting to run FIT in the actual target
        environment, but I'm not seeing the need to run FitNesse
        there at the moment.

        That said, you might need to tailor FIT, but the basic
        FIT package is quite small.

        John Roth
      • Micah Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2 10:52 AM
          The only hurdle preventing FitNesse to run in j2me is the regular
          expressions. The whole wiki page parsing is heavily dependent on
          regular expression and removing them would take quite a bit of time...
          weeks.

          However, is it really necessary to run FitNesse in j2me? Would it be
          sufficient if the tests were executed using the j2me jvm? If so you
          could run FitNesse with j2ee and change the COMMAND_PATTERN variable to
          use j2me.

          !define COMMAND_PATTERN {C:\pathToJ2me\bin\java -cp %p %m}

          Micah Martin
          Object Mentor, Inc.
          www.objectmentor.com

          On Aug 2, 2004, at 11:42 AM, womble_42 wrote:

          > Trying to get fitnesse to run on a pocketPC environment.
          > Using IBM's J9 Java VM, the first thing I run into is:
          >
          > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.regex.Pattern
          >
          > So this tells me that fitnesse is not designed to work with j2me.
          > What I want to know is the feasability of making the changes that
          > would allow fitnesse to run in a j2me environment. Are we looking at
          > impossible: the functionality is not present in j2me for fitnesse to
          > ever run, difficult: getting fitnesse to run in the j2me environment
          > would take me years to code, or "I don't know, let me get back to you"?
          >
          > An even better answer would be download this and it will work, but I
          > haven't seen any discussion about testing in the pocketPC environment
          > or even any j2me environment(linux handhelds etc.).
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • womble_42
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3 11:45 AM
            I would be fine running in a PC environment, but the issue falls to
            what I am actually testing, which is the sqlCE database and code which
            makes calls to the database. So the only environment these work in at
            the moment is a hand held platform running pocketPC. The reason I
            would prefer to use fitnesse is that the test cases are going to be
            quiet large in size and number and there will be substantial setup and
            tear down. I realize that I could use Fit to do so, but I wanted the
            test cases to be editable by those that do not have any programming
            experience.

            What you did say that peeked my interest is changing the
            command_pattern variable. Is it possible to have the tests executed
            using the compact .NET framework or more importantly the CE 4.0
            framework while running on the PC?

            --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Micah Martin <micah@o...> wrote:
            > The only hurdle preventing FitNesse to run in j2me is the regular
            > expressions. The whole wiki page parsing is heavily dependent on
            > regular expression and removing them would take quite a bit of time...
            > weeks.
            >
            > However, is it really necessary to run FitNesse in j2me? Would it be
            > sufficient if the tests were executed using the j2me jvm? If so you
            > could run FitNesse with j2ee and change the COMMAND_PATTERN variable to
            > use j2me.
            >
            > !define COMMAND_PATTERN {C:\pathToJ2me\bin\java -cp %p %m}
            >
            > Micah Martin
            > Object Mentor, Inc.
            > www.objectmentor.com
            >
            > On Aug 2, 2004, at 11:42 AM, womble_42 wrote:
            >
            > > Trying to get fitnesse to run on a pocketPC environment.
            > > Using IBM's J9 Java VM, the first thing I run into is:
            > >
            > > java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: java.util.regex.Pattern
            > >
            > > So this tells me that fitnesse is not designed to work with j2me.
            > > What I want to know is the feasability of making the changes that
            > > would allow fitnesse to run in a j2me environment. Are we looking at
            > > impossible: the functionality is not present in j2me for fitnesse to
            > > ever run, difficult: getting fitnesse to run in the j2me environment
            > > would take me years to code, or "I don't know, let me get back to
            you"?

            > > An even better answer would be download this and it will work, but I
            > > haven't seen any discussion about testing in the pocketPC environment
            > > or even any j2me environment(linux handhelds etc.).
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Micah Martin
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3 2:17 PM
              On Aug 3, 2004, at 1:45 PM, womble_42 wrote:

              > What you did say that peeked my interest is changing the
              > command_pattern variable. Is it possible to have the tests executed
              > using the compact .NET framework or more importantly the CE 4.0
              > framework while running on the PC?

              Sure, as long as .NET FIT runs in those environments. Trimming .NET
              FIT to work would be a much simpler task than changing FitNesse.

              Micah