FitNesse 20110104 Released. New Parser!

  • Robert Martin
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
      The latest release of FitNesse is out.
      http://fitnesse.org/FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.DownLoad

      It has Mike Stockdale's new parser. It is _much_ faster.

      This is probably the largest bit of brain surgery that FitNesse has ever endured in a single release. The new parser should not break your tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.

      ----
      Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | unclebob@...
      Uncle Bob Consulting LLC. | @unclebobmartin
      847.922.0563 | web: objectmentor.com
    • H. Liu
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
        Happy New Year!

        Does this new release include the "pass" counting change?

        Thanks!

        Hongqin Liu

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
          i was attempting to upgrade a suite of tests written for OLD dbfit - fitnesse version was 200808 and we were using dbfit.dll -

          in attempting to update to the "last" fitnesse version (20101101), the word "INNER" in a lot of our join statements seems to get parsed weirdly (gets appended to column names) - and we were also getting failures because of "long" SQL statements (700+ characters) - i was unable to really figure it out.

          i will certainly look at this new release later today - but could you point me to where in the source the parsing of the dbfit ColumnFixture
          s happens?

          thx,
          andy

          --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Robert Martin <unclebob@...> wrote:

          > The latest release of FitNesse is out.
          > http://fitnesse.org/FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.DownLoad
          >
          > It has Mike Stockdale's new parser. It is _much_ faster.
          >
          > This is probably the largest bit of brain surgery that FitNesse has ever endured in a single release. The new parser should not break your tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.
          >
          > ----
          > Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | unclebob@...
          > Uncle Bob Consulting LLC. | @unclebobmartin
          > 847.922.0563 | web: objectmentor.com

        • Mike Stockdale
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
            Try the new release and see if you have issues. The old parser sometimes had problems with long text strings.  There's no special parsing done for dbfit or any fixture types - the parser is general-purpose and the same code parses everything.

            --
            Cheers,
            Mike Stockdale

            fitSharp
            Syterra Software Inc.
          • John Lockhart from webtest.co.nz
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
              Hi,

              I am not sure whether this relates to the new parser, as I'm upgrading from an older version and can't seem to access edge versions as cloudbees just gives me "Forbidden" on the Edge link even though I've registered and validated. Even if I could get to it, I believe previous recent versions of fitnesse had setups/teardowns etc messed up and was loading teardown before test or something like that.

              Anyway, with latest version if you create a trivial suite with say:
              SetUp
              SuiteSetUp
              SuiteTearDown
              TearDown
              TestTest

              You'll find that TestTest shows SetUp as an included page in both normal view and when run, while TearDown is also shown as an included page in both views. However SetUp is automatically collapsed while TearDown is not. In the old version of fitnesse I was using, both were correctly collapsed. Is it possible to get this fixed?

              SuiteSetUp and SuiteTearDown are only shown when test or suite is run, which is fine and existing functionality. However when they are shown they do not say "included page" or get put in a collapsable section at all. This I think has been an issue for a while in fitnesse which it would also be nice to have fixed.

              I think perhaps there have been ongoing problems in this area because the Fitnesse acceptance tests don't cover any of it as far as I can see. I think I saw a post a while back from unclebob saying he'd been working on this area?

              I have been working around the suite issue by putting for example:

              !*> .SuiteTest.SuiteSetUp some optional description here
              #the contents of the Suite Set Up logic goes here.
              *!

              and looks like I now need to do this for Tear Down as well as Suite Set Up and Suite Tear Down.

              regards,
              John Lockhart

              --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Robert Martin <unclebob@...> wrote:
              [snip]
              > The new parser should not break your tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.
            • pvlagsma
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 4, 2011
                !define 's in a table are not parsed.

                see for example :

                FitNesse.UserGuide.QuickReferenceGuide

                PaulV

                --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Robert Martin <unclebob@...> wrote:

                > The latest release of FitNesse is out.
                > http://fitnesse.org/FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.DownLoad
                >
                > It has Mike Stockdale's new parser. It is _much_ faster.
                >
                > This is probably the largest bit of brain surgery that FitNesse has ever endured in a single release. The new parser should not break your tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.
                >
                > ----
                > Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | unclebob@...
                > Uncle Bob Consulting LLC. | @unclebobmartin
                > 847.922.0563 | web: objectmentor.com

              • Neo Clark
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011
                Hi,

                I went to that QuickRefenceGuide link and I saw a bunch of undefined variables. I am not sure if it suppose to show that. I just replaced my old fitnesse.jar file with the 1/04/2011 version. I also have the lasted fitlibrary and fitlibraryweb from this site, https://www.socialtext.net/install/index.cgi.

                I attached a couple of screen shots of what I talking about.

                On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM, Robert Martin <unclebob@...> wrote:

                The latest release of FitNesse is out.
                http://fitnesse.org/FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.DownLoad

                It has Mike Stockdale's new parser. It is _much_ faster.

                This is probably the largest bit of brain surgery that FitNesse has ever endured in a single release. The new parser should not break your tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.

                ----
                Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | unclebob@...
                Uncle Bob Consulting LLC. | @unclebobmartin
                847.922.0563 | web: objectmentor.com

              • Dassing, Andrew
                Message 8 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011

                  Did you shutdown FitNesse before replacing the jar file, and restart FitNesse afterwards?

                  Message 9 of 14 , Jan 5, 2011
                    Hi,

                    I have to confirm that the QuickRefenceGuide does not render correctly with the new parser. I reverted the git merge, compiled again and it was fine again. The wiki source of the page had not changed.

                    Gregor

                    Message 10 of 14 , Jan 6, 2011
                      Hello,
                      sorry to disturb you!
                      I am interested in Fitnesse. To experiment, i took the same example as  this one which is on internet. But, I have this message as an error:

                      FrontPage
                      Test Results   [history]
                      Assertions: 0 right, 0 wrong, 0 ignored, 1 exceptions (0,000 seconds)
                      classpath: c:\fitnesse.jar
                      classpath: c:\toto

                      Division Could not find fixture: Division.
                      numerator     denominator     quotient?
                      10     2     5
                      12.6     3     4.2
                      100     4     33

                      My fixture located into "toto" directory and the code is like this:

                      public class Division {
                        private double numerator, denominator;
                        public void setNumerator(double numerator) {this.numerator = numerator;}
                        public void setDenominator(double denominator} {this.denominator = denominator;}
                        public double quotient() {return numerator/denominator;}
                      }

                      Please, someone could explain me what wrong and helps me to correct that? what to write so that i go away.
                      Also, could you give me some pointers which allow me to look into Fitnesse tool?

                      Thank you very much to you

                      De : "Dassing, Andrew" <andrew.dassing@...>
                      À : fitnesse@yahoogroups.com
                      Envoyé le : Mer 5 janvier 2011, 19h 10min 34s

                      Message 11 of 14 , Jan 6, 2011
                        yes I believed I turned everything off (shell or command prompt) and tab on web browser and restarted and I got that.

                        Message 12 of 14 , Jan 6, 2011
                          Yes it does. See the release notes. http://fitnesse.org/.FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.FitNesseRelease20110104

                          Message 13 of 14 , Jan 12, 2011
                            Sorry for not following up sooner.

                            New fitnesse (20110104) plus OLD dbfit.NET is working. No more issues with JOIN statements or weird parsing.

                            --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com, Mike Stockdale <jediwhale@...> wrote:

                            > Try the new release and see if you have issues. The old parser sometimes
                            > had problems with long text strings. There's no special parsing done
                            > for dbfit or any fixture types - the parser is general-purpose and the
                            > same code parses everything.
                            >
                            > On 2011-01-04 10:06, Andrew D wrote:
                            > >
                            > > i was attempting to upgrade a suite of tests written for OLD dbfit -
                            > > fitnesse version was 200808 and we were using dbfit.dll -
                            > >
                            > > in attempting to update to the "last" fitnesse version (20101101), the
                            > > word "INNER" in a lot of our join statements seems to get parsed
                            > > weirdly (gets appended to column names) - and we were also getting
                            > > failures because of "long" SQL statements (700+ characters) - i was
                            > > unable to really figure it out.
                            > >
                            > > i will certainly look at this new release later today - but could you
                            > > point me to where in the source the parsing of the dbfit ColumnFixture
                            > > s happens?
                            > >
                            > > thx,
                            > > andy
                            > >
                            > > --- In fitnesse@yahoogroups.com <mailto:fitnesse%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > > Robert Martin <unclebob@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > The latest release of FitNesse is out.
                            > > > http://fitnesse.org/FrontPage.FitNesseDevelopment.DownLoad
                            > > >
                            > > > It has Mike Stockdale's new parser. It is _much_ faster.
                            > > >
                            > > > This is probably the largest bit of brain surgery that FitNesse has
                            > > ever endured in a single release. The new parser should not break your
                            > > tests; but if you have any trouble please report it immediately here.
                            > > >
                            > > > ----
                            > > > Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | unclebob@
                            > > > Uncle Bob Consulting LLC. | @unclebobmartin
                            > > > 847.922.0563 | web: objectmentor.com
                            > > >

                            > --
                            > Cheers,
                            > Mike Stockdale
                            >
                            > /fit/Sharp <http://fitsharp.github.com>
                            > Syterra Software Inc. <http://www.syterra.com>

                          • ctttrain
                            Message 14 of 14 , Jan 13, 2011
                              I downloaded the file and restarted the service, but when I run a suite with format=xml, the response says the version is v20100303. Did I do something wrong?