Re: [fitnesse] Fit in C++

  • Rick Mugridge
    Message 1 of 58 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi Ryan,

      The only problem I see is bringing about a split in the code if two groups are continuing active work on it independently. So it's a matter of deciding whether there is continuing energy in existing code. The main problem (for all of us) is time to work on it, and interest.

      If you create your own sourceforge project and Michael decides he wants to continue with it, you can easily agree to cooperate after that. I imagine that he'll be pleased that someone else is getting going on it.

      It's pretty clear that there is no energy in core Fit for change, so that's easy. I'm hoping that a group of us will move that forward. (And I imagine that we'll put the results on www.fitnesse.info.)

      Little has been done on FitNesse since Micah stopped working on it, as far as I can see, so I feel happy about building an alternative test runner for it.

      Cheers, Rick

      Ryan McCullough wrote:
      Richard,

      What are the legal ramifications of opening a new sourceforge project (or adding it to an existing one) with the CppTestTools zip archive available on fitnesse.org?

      This is the comment block I see on most of the source files:
      // Copyright (c) 2003 Cunningham & Cunningham, Inc.
      // Released under the terms of the GNU General Public License version 2 or later.
      //
      // C++ translation by Michael Feathers <mfeathers@objectmen tor.com>

      I have tried to send email in the past to Michael Features at the email in the comment block but did not recieve a response.

      I have a whole slew of enhancements & bug fixes I have made to the CppTestTools- 2007-02-16- 12-00.zip package available on fitnesse.org. What I find strange is that there was a release made on February 16, 2007 so it does not appear that the project has been abandoned.

      For the record, VS6/VC97 is still a widely used C++ compiler. We are using it because it compiles faster binaries from unmanaged code than newer compilers. It would probly be a good thing to include newer project files for those using newer VS environments as well as linux makefile's that work.

      If you are using managed code, I don't see why a person would not just use a .NET language instead.

      -Ryan

      On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Richard <legalize@xmission. com> wrote:

      In article <1787074DEFD84DF49F7 9C167934CE0E5@ jhrothjr004>,
         John Roth <JohnRoth1@gmail. com>  writes:

      > I don't see any point in raking up past history, however
      > if enough people want to get together and form an overall
      > maintenance team, I, for one, would be mightily pleased.

      I sent email to ask to join the FitNesse.NET project on sourceforge,
      but haven't received a reply.

      I would gladly join the C++ team and collaborate on maintenance and
      improvements.

      A good start would be making it easier to use "out of the box".  Right
      now, it requires much more fussing than should be needed.

      My user id on sourceforge is 'legalize'.  If someone can add me to the
      project, then by all means do so and I'll add the C++ source to the
      source code control system.  You can put me on a branch if you want to
      isolate my changes.
           <http://www.xmission .com/~legalize/ book/download/ index.html>

             Legalize Adulthood! <http://blogs. xmission. com/legalize/>

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/fitnesse/ join
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:fitnesse-digest@ yahoogroups. com
         mailto:fitnesse-fullfeatur ed@yahoogroups. com

         http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

      --
      Ryan McCullough
      mailto:rmccullough@ gmail.com
      Message 58 of 58 , Oct 7, 2008
        In article <1B76910A-BB52-421C-A57F-208134BD9C4A@...>,
        Dean Wampler <dean@...> writes:

        > Just a suggestion. I have not had great success with version control
        > on sourceforge in the (distant) past.

        I've been using sourceforge for about 10 years and never had a
        problem, with either CVS or Subversion.