RE: [firefly_nyc] Anyone Up For Managing The Fan Table At I-Con?

  • Jenna DeRovira
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2006
      Hey guys, I'm new to the forum, and I've never been to a convention either (though not because I haven't wanted to). I'd really love to help out in any way I can, spending time at the table, handing stuff out, helping to plan, etc.  I'm a college student living in the city, but I'm from Long Island, and my time is limited only by my class schedule.  Please let me know what I can do, I'd love to be a part of this!

      -Jenna

      Gypsy <Gypsy@...> wrote:
      I’ll help out if I can but, never having been to a convention, I have no idea what is involved.

      Gypsy

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2006
        I'm not sure. Polly, can you shed some light on this?

        --- In firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com, Richard Maynard <r.maynard@v...>
        wrote:

        > Josie,
        >
        > What's the drill on the paperwork?
        >
        > At 02:22 PM 1/31/2006, you wrote:
        > >Just FYI today is the last day to get paperwork in if we want a
        fan
        > >table at I-Con. Anyone want to take the ball and run with it?
        > >
        > >--- In firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com, "polly_po1s" <mbsisson@a...>
        > >wrote:

        > > > Hey everyone! After a week of driving across country (and a
        truly
        > > > nerve-wracking experience crossing Snoqualamie Pass in a
        snowstorm-
        > >-I
        > > > guess Mom was right about needing chains), I am in Seattle and
        > >again
        > > > have Internet access.
        > > >
        > > > Anyway, last year's I-Con was only my second convention and the
        > >first
        > > > time I had ever done anything like a fan table--they aren't
        hard
        > > > do, but someone does need to be communicating with I-Con on
        this.
        > >Last
        > > > year securing a table was a simple matter of filling out a form
        > >and
        > > > writing a check--this year it looks like we can maybe skip that
        > >second
        > > > step, but obviously early communication is important (and they
        can
        > > > answer questions about deadlines and policies on selling
        stuff).

        > > > The bare-bones table would consist of a tablecloth, a sign, and
        > >some
        > > > flyers. (11th Hours' flyers can also double as decorations, so
        > >they
        > > > were very useful to have last year--I also made up NYC
        Browncoats
        > > > flyers with our old Meetup Web address on them.) Anything
        extra--
        > > > giveaways, a raffle, a computer playing fanvids--is nice, but
        > >extra
        > > > effort. Having Jamie on board is great (thanks, Jamie!)--
        > >definitely e-
        > > > mail Keith DeCandido, he's a big Browncoat and just a fun guy,
        and
        > > > he'll probably be happy to schedule some signing time at the
        > >table.
        > > > You also need people to staff the table, but that =really=
        wasn't
        > > > problem last year--you do have to pack up the table at night,
        so
        > >just
        > > > make sure there's someone who can do that, as well as someone
        who
        > >can
        > > > be there first thing so that the table is ready when the con
        opens.

        > > > --Polly

        > > *
        > > <mailto:firefly_nyc-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?
        > >
        > > *
        > >

        > >----------
        >
        > Richard J. Maynard
        > Director of Operations
        > Voice (631) 468-3578
        > FAX (631) 585-0838

      • polly_po1s
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
          --- In firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Josina Peterson"
          <josinapeterson@...> wrote:

          > I'm not sure. Polly, can you shed some light on this?

          Last year, it was literally a one-page form. I talked to the I-Con
          contact person, they e-mailed me the form, I mailed it in with the
          check.

          --Polly
        • Richard Maynard
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
            Jamie,

            I put a call into them this AM to see if we can still get a table.  No response as yet.  I'll keep you posted.

            Regards,
            Rich M.

            At 04:00 PM 2/3/2006, you wrote:
            So is the fan table dead? Was no one able to commit to managing it?

             ** Jamie

            <josinapeterson@...> wrote:

            > I'm not sure.  Polly, can you shed some light on this?

            Last year, it was literally a one-page form. I talked to the I-Con
            contact person, they e-mailed me the form, I mailed it in with the
            check.

            --Polly

            Science fiction and fantasy < http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w1=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w2=Music+genres&w3=Genre+magazine&c=3&s=71&.sig=WW5HCAgpfChc95M2eIZwBA >   Music genres < http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Music+genres&w1=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w2=Music+genres&w3=Genre+magazine&c=3&s=71&.sig=eBBC-oYTvZZOh4b_F7hgIA >   Genre magazine < http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Genre+magazine&w1=Science+fiction+and+fantasy&w2=Music+genres&w3=Genre+magazine&c=3&s=71&.sig=bCgD6I32HHduGk_b5XfJDg >

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

            Richard J. Maynard
            Director of Operations
            Voice (631) 468-3578
            FAX   (631) 585-0838

          • Josina Peterson
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
              Rich is looking into finding out about the fan table. He might
              manage it. ***crosses fingers, toes, and other body parts***

              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/firefly_nyc> "
              > > on the web.
              > > *
              subject=Unsubscribe>
              > > *
              Service
              > > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Jamie Chambers
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2006
                Re: [firefly_nyc] Re: Anyone Up For Managing The Fan Table At  I-Con? So is the fan table dead? Was no one able to commit to managing it?