Re: Computer Crash......HELP!

  • Kathleen
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
      I have never owned a toshiba. I have had a sony vaio (many years ago
      when they first came out) and I loved it. Mostly because it was so
      damn little and cool, but it was also a good little computer and I
      never had trouble with it. Then I had a Dell Inspiron (built to my
      specifications via the website) for years and I never had trouble
      with that one either. Of course I spent A LOT of money on it because
      I got almost all the premium options (over $3500 about 6 years ago).
      I know everyone hates Dell, but I seriously never had one problem
      with it. In fact, it still works just fine. I did buy a new laptop in
      January, though, mostly because I was having to buy so many
      convertors and peripherals to keep it current (it only had 2 usb1
      ports, no wireless capabilities, and no dvd burner). It was a great
      computer. Noone believes me. :)

      This time, I was on a much stricter budget, or I would have bought
      the Mac. I personally know three life-long pc people who have
      switched to Mac. Every one of them says they will never go back. But
      it just wasn't an option for me, so I ended up getting the HP
      Pavilion 9420 Notebook (their 'entertainment' pc) for about $1000 on
      sale at Circuit City. So far, everything is working great (even with
      vista, but GOD vista sure slows a lot of stuff down, right?). I
      literally looked at all the major retailers and saw what was in my
      price range and then compared that with my list of 'must-haves' in
      terms of memory, speed, etc. That pretty much narrowed my options to
      about 4 models. Then I did a little research on consumer reports and
      cnet and compared the models' details using the retailer's 'compare
      these products' feature on their website. I also went to the store
      and played with each contender to see how it felt.

      Next time I am gonna save up and get a Mac, but I am very happy with
      my quite economical hp at the moment. But then I do seem to have good
      computer karma... :)

      Kathleen

      --- In firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com, "Josina Peterson"
      <josinapeterson@...> wrote:

      > About a week ago my computer crashed in a way that it will never,
      ever,
      > come back from the dead, not even as a zombie computer. It's gone.
      It
      > had a full 8 years of semi-life. I'm in the process of looking at
      other
      > laptops, ABAD (Anything But A Dell.)
      >
      > My only internet connection is on Russ' laptop when he isn't using
      it.
      > He is currently working on a mega-project which means I can only be
      on
      > his laptop between midnight and 5 a.m. or when he's in the bathroom.
      >
      > I'm looking at a Toshiba that was rated #2 by Consumer Reports.
      All

    • ddoughten@optonline.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
        . Bought a new note book in Oct. Wanted the mac book love them . But too expensive . Was a Mac user because of money and the lack of up grade ability I switched . I have a HP now and Love it it was rated very well in consumers digest . Recommended by our computer installer at work . We now have digital X-Rays . We use a HP with XP to run the program .  PS.Got mine at Best Buy  Was having Chuck flashes . Even got the contract with Geek Squad .  Cookie

      • nance1986
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
          So if you want to stay with a PC

          I have heard wonderful things about Fujitsus and the mid range to
          higher end HPs (the $400 windows ones are crap)

          Toshiba stay far far far away from...my statilite died in the first 10
          months of having it...

          Nance
          <josinapeterson@...> wrote:

          > About a week ago my computer crashed in a way that it will never, ever,
          > come back from the dead, not even as a zombie computer. It's gone. It
          > had a full 8 years of semi-life. I'm in the process of looking at other
          > laptops, ABAD (Anything But A Dell.)
          >
          > My only internet connection is on Russ' laptop when he isn't using it.
          > He is currently working on a mega-project which means I can only be on
          > his laptop between midnight and 5 a.m. or when he's in the bathroom.
          >
          > I'm looking at a Toshiba that was rated #2 by Consumer Reports. All
          > brands are not created equal, but this one gets high ratings even with
          > Vista. It's a Satellite A135-4427. Any thoughts?
          >
          > I'll be back when I get my new laptop. Keep things going while I'm
          > gone, folks.

        • barnabyhardlyworking
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
            I've had a MacBook (small one, not the Pro) since last summer and I haven't stopped loving
            it yet, but I don't do a lot of heavy duty downloading or multimedia stuff (I only use it for
            music, photos, and communication), so your mileage may vary depending on what you use
            yours for.

            That new Macbook Air is basically a toy - non-replaceable battery, small (and non-
            upgradeable) hard drive, no optical drive, inaccessible ports. I wouldn't recommend it to
            anyone for use as a primary.

            I remember my Sony VAIO serving me well, back in the day, plus they've only gotten
            bigger (inside) and lighter since then.

            I think it would be best to get recommendations from people who use their computers in
            the same way and in the same amounts as you personally do, though.

            --- In firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com, Josina Peterson <josinapeterson@...> wrote:

            > Dang. What would you recommend?
            >

            > To: firefly_nyc@...: barnabyhardlyworking@...: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:04:12 -0800Subject:
            Re: [firefly_nyc] Computer Crash......HELP!

            > I can only hope that Toshiba have fixed theirproblems, but see how many hits you get
            when yougoogle the words "Toshiba", "satellite", and"shutdown" and you will have some
            idea of the randomhell I went through for about a year and a half beforeI finally decided to
            spring for a new notebook.So no, I personally absolutely would NOT recommend aToshiba
            Satellite.mike.--- Josina Peterson <josinapeterson@...> wrote:> About a week ago my
            computer crashed in a way that> it will never, ever, > come back from the dead, not even
            as a zombie> computer. It's gone. It > had a full 8 years of semi-life. I'm in the process>
            of looking at other > laptops, ABAD (Anything But A Dell.)> > My only internet connection
            is on Russ' laptop when> he isn't using it. > He is currently working on a mega-project
            which> means I can only be on > his laptop between midnight and 5 a.m. or when he's>
            in the bathroom.> > I'm looking at a Toshiba that was rated #2 by> Consumer Reports.
            All > brands are not created equal, but this one gets high> ratings even with > Vista. It's a
            Satellite A135-4427. Any thoughts?> > I'll be back when I get my new laptop. Keep
            things> going while I'm > gone, folks.> > > > test';
            ">__________________________________________________________Looking for last minute
            shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

          • Josina Peterson
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
              This is great, thanks for sharing your personal experiences.  Yes, Mac is rated number one by Consumer Reports.  The problem for me is that most business don't use Mac.  It makes it difficult as a consultant to do business with a different platform.  The particular model of Toshiba that I'm looking at was rated number two according to Consumer Reports.  It dropped to three in a later issue.

              So how many of you are using Vista and what do you think of it?

              To: firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com
              From: kmschulz@...
              Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:25:50 +0000
              Subject: [firefly_nyc] Re: Computer Crash......HELP!

              <josinapeterson@ ...> wrote:

              > About a week ago my computer crashed in a way that it will never,
              ever,
              > come back from the dead, not even as a zombie computer. It's gone.
              It
              > had a full 8 years of semi-life. I'm in the process of looking at
              other
              > laptops, ABAD (Anything But A Dell.)
              >
              > My only internet connection is on Russ' laptop when he isn't using
              it.
              > He is currently working on a mega-project which means I can only be
              on
              > his laptop between midnight and 5 a.m. or when he's in the bathroom.
              >
              > I'm looking at a Toshiba that was rated #2 by Consumer Reports.
              All
              > brands are not created equal, but this one gets high ratings even
              with
              > Vista. It's a Satellite A135-4427. Any thoughts?
              >
              > I'll be back when I get my new laptop. Keep things going while I'm
              > gone, folks.

            • Jason
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
                If you're using a computer that comes pre-installed with Vista and is made with it in mind you won't have any problems at this point.  The biggest thing you'll encounter is you might want to turn off the UAC, which causes annoying things to pop up asking for your approval to do every little thing.  SP1 for Vista is coming out this month (it'll be available via Windows Update) and is supposedly a vast improvement as well.  If you're buying a new laptop it might even come with Vista SP1 pre-installed at this point, but I'd check.

                To: firefly_nyc@ yahoogroups. com
                From: kmschulz@yahoo. com
                Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 13:25:50 +0000

                <josinapeterson@ ...> wrote:

                > About a week ago my computer crashed in a way that it will never,
                ever,
                > come back from the dead, not even as a zombie computer. It's gone.
                It
                > had a full 8 years of semi-life. I'm in the process of looking at
                other
                > laptops, ABAD (Anything But A Dell.)
                >
                > My only internet connection is on Russ' laptop when he isn't using
                it.
                > He is currently working on a mega-project which means I can only be
                on
                > his laptop between midnight and 5 a.m. or when he's in the bathroom.
                >
                > I'm looking at a Toshiba that was rated #2 by Consumer Reports.
                All
                > brands are not created equal, but this one gets high ratings even
                with
                > Vista. It's a Satellite A135-4427. Any thoughts?
                >
                > I'll be back when I get my new laptop. Keep things going while I'm
                > gone, folks.

              • Josina Peterson
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 1, 2008
                  Question to those of you who have Vista.  Do you have any trouble with P2P software?

                  To: firefly_nyc@yahoogroups.com
                  From: barnabyhardlyworking@...
                  Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2008 18:16:50 +0000

                  http://tools. search.yahoo. com/newsearch/ category. php?category= shopping