GBAK on FB 1.5.. How to interpret this error message?

  • Myles Wakeham
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2 6:04 AM
      I am attempting to restore a FBK backup file that was from a Linux system,
      but on a Windows computer (both running Firebird 1.5.5). When I go to
      restore the backup file, I get the following error:

      IBE: Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude
      successful execution of subsequent statements.
      do not recognize record type 11.

      I have been able to restore the backup file on the same Linux system that it
      was created on without a problem, so I believe the FBK file is ok.

      How can I determine what this error is referring to?

      Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

      Myles

      ===============================
      Myles Wakeham
      Director of Engineering
      Tech Solutions USA, Inc.
      Scottsdale, Arizona USA
      www.techsolusa.com
      Phone +1-480-451-7440
    • Svein Erling Tysvær
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 2 6:16 AM
        Hi Myles!

        Maybe a stupid question, but when the backup was made, was the -nt (non-transportable) switch specified? The default should be the -t (transportable) switch, so it doesn't sound like something normally done by mistake...

        Unfortunately, I have no idea about your error message,
        Set

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2 6:18 AM
          Hi,

          >I am attempting to restore a FBK backup file that was from a Linux system,
          > but on a Windows computer (both running Firebird 1.5.5). When I go to
          > restore the backup file, I get the following error:

          Not sure if it helps but, have you created your backup
          using -T[ransportable] gbak switch?!

          Regards,
          Anderson Farias
        • Tiberiu Horvath
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2 6:20 AM
            I got exactly this message trying to backup from a FB 2.1 server with a FB 2.03 gback.

            Tiberiu

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2 6:52 AM
              At 11:04 PM 2/07/2008, you wrote:
              >I am attempting to restore a FBK backup file that was from a Linux system,
              >but on a Windows computer (both running Firebird 1.5.5). When I go to
              >restore the backup file, I get the following error:
              >
              >IBE: Unsuccessful execution caused by system error that does not preclude
              >successful execution of subsequent statements.
              > do not recognize record type 11.
              >
              >I have been able to restore the backup file on the same Linux system that it
              >was created on without a problem, so I believe the FBK file is ok.
              >
              >How can I determine what this error is referring to?

              Windows 1.5.5 services manager restore code thinks it's looking at a backup made on Fb 2 or higher. Are you absolutely certain it's not?

              ./heLen
            • vladman992000
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2 9:02 AM
                > Windows 1.5.5 services manager restore code thinks it's looking at a
                backup made on Fb 2 or higher. Are you absolutely certain it's not?

                No, the server that I originally had this problem on is a Fedora Core
                5 Linux box that has only ever had FB 1.5 installed on it. I have a
                duplicate server we use for testing/staging and is also Linux with FB
                1.5 on it. I ran a backup of that database, and attempted to restore
                on Windows as well. I got the exact same problem.

                Having said that, you may be onto something. I do have BOTH FB 1.5.5
                and FB 2.1 installed on my Windows development machine where I am
                trying to do the restore from. I was specific to use GBAK that was in
                the FB 1.5.5 folder, however I'll double check the client libraries
                that are being used. I believe they are for 1.5.5, but if it was
                attempting to use FBCLIENT.DLL from a 2.1 Firebird installation for
                GBAK, would that be a reason I might get that error?

                Myles
              • vladman992000
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2 9:03 AM
                  --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Svein Erling Tysvær
                  <svein.erling.tysvaer@...> wrote:
                  > Maybe a stupid question, but when the backup was made, was the -nt
                  (non-transportable) switch specified? The default should be the -t
                  (transportable) switch, so it doesn't sound like something normally
                  done by mistake...

                  Hi Set,

                  No, I didn't specify that in the backup script. Its a default GBAK
                  backup for this one.

                  Myles
                • vladman992000
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2 9:05 AM
                    --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Anderson Farias"
                    <peixedragao@...> wrote:

                    > Not sure if it helps but, have you created your backup
                    > using -T[ransportable] gbak switch?!

                    Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't specify the switch, however when
                    I tried to restore using IBExpert in verbose mode, it stated that the
                    backup file was Transportable, so I think it might be created that way
                    by default.

                    I'll redo the backup and force that though. It might do the trick.

                    Myles
                  • vladman992000
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2 9:07 AM
                      --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Tiberiu Horvath" <exact@...>
                      wrote:

                      > I got exactly this message trying to backup from a FB 2.1 server
                      with a FB 2.03 gback.

                      I know that the original server where the data was backed up from only
                      has ever had FB 1.5 installed on it. And its GBAK is the default one
                      that came with the server installation.

                      However as I mentioned in my reply to Helen, the computer that its
                      being restored on does have BOTH 1.5.5 and 2.1 installed on it. I was
                      sure I was using the 1.5.5 GBAK though, but I'll double check.

                      Myles
                    • vladman992000
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2 10:55 AM
                        --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Myles Wakeham" <myles@...>
                        wrote:
                        > I have been able to restore the backup file on the same Linux system
                        that it
                        > was created on without a problem, so I believe the FBK file is ok.
                        >
                        > How can I determine what this error is referring to?

                        Finally found out what the problem is, and in the process may have
                        uncovered a suggestion for an improvement to Firebird/GBAK for the future.

                        The error I was getting was being interpreted by everyone as Error 11,
                        that the FBK file created from the backup was done with a different
                        version of Firebird than the one I was trying to restore with. I ran
                        a bunch of tests on systems that I knew were only using the same
                        version of Firebird, and detected that as this backup file was created
                        on Linux, and I was trying to restore on a Windows system, it would
                        only give this error when attempting to go cross-platform for the restore.

                        I was successfully able to restore the backup file when I did the
                        restore on a different Linux system running the same FB version. I
                        returned to the backup process and ensured that the -t (transportable)
                        flag was used in the backup. This made no difference at all.

                        However then I looked to how I was copying the FBK file from Linux to
                        Windows. I was using a command line FTP utility in Linux to copy it
                        to a Windows FTP server. I then tried using a Windows FTP client
                        after firing up a local Linux FTP server.

                        The file that I had copied over this way restored perfectly on
                        Windows, using the same Firebird 1.5 version that it was originally
                        created on.

                        So the problem was due to Linux to Windows file translations that were
                        not being correctly implemented with FTP from Linux to Windows, but
                        were correctly handled when FTP client was run on Windows against a
                        local FTP server.

                        Now that's all great stuff, and glad I have it working now. But what
                        is left over from all of this is that GBAK was giving an error
                        condition that doesn't seem to be consistent with the problem. I'm
                        not exactly sure where to find the master reference to these GBAK
                        error codes, but as a suggestion it would appear that if GBAK was able
                        to check the validity of the file before it attempted to run the
                        restore, and report if there were any issues relating to the file
                        validity, with as much detail as possible, I would have been able to
                        get past this problem much quicker. It may be that Error 11 supports
                        this exact error situation, but I was not able to find any reference
                        to it, which meant I had to come to the support forums for an answer.

                        Anyway I'm not sure of how to suggest this as a feature or enhancement
                        to the product for future revisions, but if someone could direct me to
                        whether I'm misinterpreting the error condition and where the error
                        messages are, or if this seems like a reasonable feature request, I'm
                        happy to post it in the appropriate place.

                        Thanks to everyone for suggestions and help.

                        Myles
                      • Adriano dos Santos Fernandes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 2 11:12 AM
                          vladman992000 escreveu:
                          > So the problem was due to Linux to Windows file translations that were
                          > not being correctly implemented with FTP from Linux to Windows, but
                          > were correctly handled when FTP client was run on Windows against a
                          > local FTP server.

                          It seems you used text-mode transfer. :-) Auto detection of text/binary
                          usually check first N bytes of a file to see if only ASCII bytes are
                          present. It's not the case for a FB backup file.

                          > Anyway I'm not sure of how to suggest this as a feature or enhancement
                          > to the product for future revisions, but if someone could direct me to
                          > whether I'm misinterpreting the error condition and where the error
                          > messages are, or if this seems like a reasonable feature request, I'm
                          > happy to post it in the appropriate place.

                          IMHO, there is not much thing to improvement here. GBAK said it can't
                          recognized a record type 11, that's the record it read from the
                          corrupted backup.

                          Adriano