Can't find or load FBCLIENT.DLL - In Exe's Directory?

  • inoffensive_2006
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
      Hi Folks:

      Developing on XP Home, Visual Studio 2008, C++,
      2.1.0.17798-0_Win32_embed, IBPP.

      Attempting to run on Windows XP Media.

      I'm working on several projects, this one uses
      Firebird's embedded server.

      An app is installed in \Program Files\<App name>.

      This directory has the the app's .exe, the six
      required Firebird files, fbclient.dll, firebird.conf,
      firebird.msg, and the three icu*30.dll files.

      Istart the application and am hit with this when
      the app tries to open the database:

      Can't find or load FBCLIENT.DLL or GDS32.DLL

      I've always assumed that if the DLL is in the same
      directory as the .exe, things would be fine.

      This application runs on the development PC, but
      not on the user PC.

      I've run the run time redistributable on the user
      PC.

      Suggestions?

      Thanks
      Larry
    • Helen Borrie
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
        At 08:02 PM 7/06/2008, you wrote:
        >Hi Folks:
        >
        > Developing on XP Home, Visual Studio 2008, C++,
        >2.1.0.17798-0_Win32_embed, IBPP.
        >
        > Attempting to run on Windows XP Media.
        >
        > I'm working on several projects, this one uses
        >Firebird's embedded server.
        >
        > An app is installed in \Program Files\<App name>.
        >
        > This directory has the the app's .exe, the six
        >required Firebird files, fbclient.dll, firebird.conf,
        >firebird.msg, and the three icu*30.dll files.
        >
        > Istart the application and am hit with this when
        >the app tries to open the database:
        >
        > Can't find or load FBCLIENT.DLL or GDS32.DLL
        >
        > I've always assumed that if the DLL is in the same
        >directory as the .exe, things would be fine.

        It is - but it won't work if you don't rename fbembed.dll to fbclient.dll. And it won't work if this file in not in the same directory as your application executable.

        ./heLen
      • inoffensive_2006
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
          --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, Helen Borrie <helebor@...> wrote:

          > At 08:02 PM 7/06/2008, you wrote:
          > >Hi Folks:
          > >
          > > Developing on XP Home, Visual Studio 2008, C++,
          > >2.1.0.17798-0_Win32_embed, IBPP.
          > >
          > > Attempting to run on Windows XP Media.
          > >
          > > I'm working on several projects, this one uses
          > >Firebird's embedded server.
          > >
          > > An app is installed in \Program Files\<App name>.
          > >
          > > This directory has the the app's .exe, the six
          > >required Firebird files, fbclient.dll, firebird.conf,
          > >firebird.msg, and the three icu*30.dll files.
          > >
          > > Istart the application and am hit with this when
          > >the app tries to open the database:
          > >
          > > Can't find or load FBCLIENT.DLL or GDS32.DLL
          > >
          > > I've always assumed that if the DLL is in the same
          > >directory as the .exe, things would be fine.
          >
          > It is - but it won't work if you don't rename fbembed.dll to
          fbclient.dll. And it won't work if this file in not in the same
          directory as your application executable.

          Thanks Again Helen:

          The file is named fbclient.dll, and it's in the same
          directory as the application's executable.

          I'm trying to see if I can get some applications that
          work fine on my developmental PC to run on a machine that
          mimics the client's PC, with no C Run time and other C++
          support files.

          After this small program couldn't find fbclient.dll,
          I was dreading the next experiment. Getting a big server
          based application running on the test PC.

          Inno put the application in it's directory, along with
          Firebird's super server and a couple of other files, and
          I launched the app from the INNO script. The application
          then called the firebird executable for a silent
          installation into it's own directory, asked the user for
          admin and app DB passwords, ran gsec and copied files
          between the Firebird and app . That complex operation
          went off without a hitch. It all came up fine, ready
          to do work.

          I feel like I've bagged an elephant, and have a bunny
          threatening to kill me.

          As usual Helen, I appreciate your advice.

          Thanks
          Larry
        • Nando Dessena
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
            Larry,

            i> Suggestions?

            run the application through Dependency Walker and see what it's
            failing to load.

            Ciao
            --
            Nando Dessena
            I support Firebird, I am a Firebird Foundation member!
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
              > Hi Folks:
              >
              > Developing on XP Home, Visual Studio 2008, C++,
              > 2.1.0.17798-0_Win32_embed, IBPP.
              >
              > Attempting to run on Windows XP Media.
              >
              > I'm working on several projects, this one uses
              > Firebird's embedded server.
              >
              > An app is installed in \Program Files\<App name>.
              >
              > This directory has the the app's .exe, the six
              > required Firebird files, fbclient.dll, firebird.conf,
              > firebird.msg, and the three icu*30.dll files.
              >
              > Istart the application and am hit with this when
              > the app tries to open the database:
              >
              > Can't find or load FBCLIENT.DLL or GDS32.DLL
              >
              > I've always assumed that if the DLL is in the same
              > directory as the .exe, things would be fine.

              It is good idea to read documentation supplied with every new version of SW.
              Read Installation Guide and install msvc8 runtime libraries.

              Regards,
              Vlad
            • Nando Dessena
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
                Vlad,

                V> It is good idea to read documentation supplied with every new
                V> version of SW. Read Installation Guide and install msvc8 runtime
                V> libraries.

                I assumed that "I've run the run time redistributable on the user
                PC." somehow meant he did that. :-)

                Ciao
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
                  > Vlad,
                  >
                  > V> It is good idea to read documentation supplied with every new
                  > V> version of SW. Read Installation Guide and install msvc8 runtime
                  > V> libraries.
                  >
                  > I assumed that "I've run the run time redistributable on the user
                  > PC." somehow meant he did that. :-)

                  Hmm... i missed this line, sorry ;)

                  Regards,
                  Vlad
                • inoffensive_2006
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2008
                    --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Vlad Khorsun" <hvlad@...> wrote:

                    > > Vlad,
                    > >
                    > > V> It is good idea to read documentation supplied with every new
                    > > V> version of SW. Read Installation Guide and install msvc8 runtime
                    > > V> libraries.
                    > >
                    > > I assumed that "I've run the run time redistributable on the user
                    > > PC." somehow meant he did that. :-)
                    >
                    > Hmm... i missed this line, sorry ;)

                    Thanks Vlad and Nando:

                    Yes, I should have said I've run vcredist_x86.exe.

                    So, this is just weird.

                    I'm running hard today, but I'll try to put Dependence
                    walker to work on this before the day is over.

                    I do appreciate your efforts to help me.

                    Larry