RE: [firebird-support]Object in use?

  • Paul Hope
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
      No guardian running. Are you suggesting that you run CS and have no
      updating problems?

      Regards
      Paul

    • Adam
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In firebird-support@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Hope" <paulhope@a...>
        wrote:

        > No guardian running. Are you suggesting that you run CS and have no
        > updating problems?

        Not at all. I am saying that there has been issues with the installers
        in the past installing guardian against a classic install. The
        guardian process was designed to watch the firebird server process and
        restart it if it crashed. Of course if you use services, you could
        always configure failure actions to restart the service.

        But then again that wasn't your original question. You were enquiring
        over whether anything had changed between IB and FB 1.5. The obvious
        answer is yes. IB didn't even have classic on windows. From my
        understanding, there should be no difference between the way FB 1.5 SS
        and FB 1.5 CS handle 'object in use'.

        Basically, in order to make a DDL change, you need exclusive access on
        the objects it touches. (This may or may not have always been the
        case). The safest way is to ensure exclusive access when making ddl
        changes.

        Firebird 2 does allow you to make some changes like adding FK
        constraints even if you don't have exclusive access, however they
        don't come into effect until it does get exclusive access. See the
        release notes for more information.

        Adam
      • Paul Hope
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2006
          Hi Adam

          > > No guardian running. Are you suggesting that you run CS and have no
          > > updating problems?
          >
          > Not at all. I am saying that there has been issues with the installers
          > in the past installing guardian against a classic install. The
          > guardian process was designed to watch the firebird server process and
          > restart it if it crashed. Of course if you use services, you could
          > always configure failure actions to restart the service.

          I was just hoping you had direct experience of this - however Dany has
          indicated the same problem, pointing to CS.

          It did install guardian but we turned it off.

          > But then again that wasn't your original question. You were enquiring
          > over whether anything had changed between IB and FB 1.5. The obvious
          > answer is yes. IB didn't even have classic on windows. From my
          > understanding, there should be no difference between the way FB 1.5 SS
          > and FB 1.5 CS handle 'object in use'.

          I am suspecting there is.

          > Basically, in order to make a DDL change, you need exclusive access on
          > the objects it touches. (This may or may not have always been the
          > case). The safest way is to ensure exclusive access when making ddl
          > changes.

          I'm sure it is theoretically the safest way - however we have been making
          extensive changes for 10 years and have never experienced a problem.

          > Firebird 2 does allow you to make some changes like adding FK
          > constraints even if you don't have exclusive access, however they
          > don't come into effect until it does get exclusive access. See the
          > release notes for more information.

          What you are saying, and my experience, would suggest that IB SS worked like
          FB2 - but FB CS does not. We are trying CS because the user has a multi
          processor server and has a mixture of batch jobs and high volume transaction
          processing. However I do need to be able to make changes to the metadata
          without shutting them down or restarting the service.

          Thanks for your help Adam. I suspect that unless anyone can provide any
          more concrete info on this we will have to revert to SS until FB2.

          Regards
          Paul