"Cannot attach to services manager" & Classic server

  • JD FitzGerald
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
      I've just started trying to use the classic version of the firebird
      server. Installs fine and I can connect using iSQL, but can't using
      delphi's interbase components or IBOConsole. With IBOConsole I get the
      error "Cannot attach to services manager"; with delphi, an internal gds
      error.
      I've tried with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2RC1 just incase there was a
      problem with the installer.
      Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

      Cheers,
      JD
    • Martijn Tonies
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
        Hello,

        > I've just started trying to use the classic version of the firebird
        > server. Installs fine and I can connect using iSQL, but can't using
        > delphi's interbase components or IBOConsole. With IBOConsole I get the
        > error "Cannot attach to services manager"; with delphi, an internal gds
        > error.
        > I've tried with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2RC1 just incase there was a
        > problem with the installer.
        > Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

        Classic doesn't support the "Services API" - which, apparently, is
        what IBOConsole uses.

        Some version ( I don't know which one exactly ) of Firebird Classic
        supports a limited subset of the Services API, so that's no guarantee
        if IBOConsole works with that version of Firebird.

        You're up to the command line tools, a tool that doesn't use the
        Services API or a tool that DOES use the Services API, except
        with Classic -> Database Workbench, for example :-)

        With regards,

        Martijn Tonies
        Server.
        Upscene Productions
        http://www.upscene.com
      • Thomas Steinmaurer
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
          > I've just started trying to use the classic version of the firebird
          > server. Installs fine and I can connect using iSQL, but can't using
          > delphi's interbase components or IBOConsole. With IBOConsole I get the
          > error "Cannot attach to services manager"; with delphi, an internal gds
          > error.
          > I've tried with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2RC1 just incase there was a
          > problem with the installer.
          > Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

          Services API is fully supported in 1.5.1, but AFAIR only
          under Linux, but I might be wrong here.

          On which platform do you have Firebird Classic installed?

          Is gds32.dll installed in the system directory, namely
          with a version string starting with "6.3...."?

          Best Regards,
          Thomas Steinmaurer
          LogManager Series - Logging/Auditing Suites supporting
          InterBase, Firebird, Advantage Database and MS SQL Server
          Upscene Productions
          http://www.upscene.com
        • JD FitzGerald
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
            Martijn Tonies wrote:
            > Classic doesn't support the "Services API" - which, apparently, is
            > what IBOConsole uses.

            And, it seems, what the delphi components do too.

            > Some version ( I don't know which one exactly ) of Firebird Classic
            > supports a limited subset of the Services API, so that's no guarantee
            > if IBOConsole works with that version of Firebird.

            I know that one of our clients used to use classic, I think they used a
            Yaffil exe. Is there no 1.5 version that supports the API then?
          • Martijn Tonies
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
              > > Classic doesn't support the "Services API" - which, apparently, is
              > > what IBOConsole uses.
              >
              > And, it seems, what the delphi components do too.

              That depends on which components you're using :-)

              eg: TIBDatabase should not use the Services API.

              > > Some version ( I don't know which one exactly ) of Firebird Classic
              > > supports a limited subset of the Services API, so that's no guarantee
              > > if IBOConsole works with that version of Firebird.
              > >

              > I know that one of our clients used to use classic, I think they used a
              > Yaffil exe. Is there no 1.5 version that supports the API then?

              See the e-mail from Thomas.

              With regards,

              Martijn Tonies
              Server.
              Upscene Productions
              http://www.upscene.com
            • JD FitzGerald
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:
                >>I've just started trying to use the classic version of the firebird
                >>server. Installs fine and I can connect using iSQL, but can't using
                >>delphi's interbase components or IBOConsole. With IBOConsole I get the
                >>error "Cannot attach to services manager"; with delphi, an internal gds
                >>error.
                >>I've tried with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2RC1 just incase there was a
                >>problem with the installer.
                >>Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
                >

                > Services API is fully supported in 1.5.1, but AFAIR only
                > under Linux, but I might be wrong here.
                >
                > On which platform do you have Firebird Classic installed?

                Windows XP :(

                > Is gds32.dll installed in the system directory, namely
                > with a version string starting with "6.3...."?

                No, no sign of it. There's an old one, 6.2... but no 6.3
                Should this have been installed?

                During the setup it does ask if a gds32.dll should be generate for
                legacy support... but it doesn't seem to generate one.
              • Martijn Tonies
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                  > >>I've just started trying to use the classic version of the firebird
                  > >>server. Installs fine and I can connect using iSQL, but can't using
                  > >>delphi's interbase components or IBOConsole. With IBOConsole I get the
                  > >>error "Cannot attach to services manager"; with delphi, an internal gds
                  > >>error.
                  > >>I've tried with 1.5.0, 1.5.1 and 1.5.2RC1 just incase there was a
                  > >>problem with the installer.
                  > >>Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
                  > >

                  > > Services API is fully supported in 1.5.1, but AFAIR only
                  > > under Linux, but I might be wrong here.
                  > >
                  > > On which platform do you have Firebird Classic installed?
                  > >

                  > Windows XP :(
                  >
                  > > Is gds32.dll installed in the system directory, namely
                  > > with a version string starting with "6.3...."?
                  > >

                  > No, no sign of it. There's an old one, 6.2... but no 6.3
                  > Should this have been installed?
                  >
                  > During the setup it does ask if a gds32.dll should be generate for
                  > legacy support... but it doesn't seem to generate one.

                  I have no idea with which version number this "legacy" dll should
                  be generated. Thomas says 6.3, I guess :-)

                  Perhaps you should download a trial of Database Workbench
                  and see if you like the tool and if it works fine with Classic.

                  With regards,

                  Martijn Tonies
                  Server.
                  Upscene Productions
                  http://www.upscene.com
                • Thomas Steinmaurer
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                    > > Is gds32.dll installed in the system directory, namely
                    > > with a version string starting with "6.3...."?
                    > >

                    > No, no sign of it. There's an old one, 6.2... but no 6.3
                    > Should this have been installed?

                    Yup, but the Installer doesn't overwrite an existing one.
                    See below.

                    > During the setup it does ask if a gds32.dll should be generate for
                    > legacy support... but it doesn't seem to generate one.

                    From "README.Win32LibraryInstallation.txt" in the \doc
                    subdirectory of your Firebird 1.5 installation.

                    "During the installation process the installer checks to see if an
                    installation of InterBase or Firebird exists. If nothing is installed
                    it will write a patched gds32.dll into the <system> directory. If it detects
                    that any possible version of Firebird or InterBase may already be installed
                    it will not install the gds32.dll in the <system> directory. However
                    you can always do so later by using the new 'instclient.exe' tool."

                    Check out the instclient.exe command line tool. You'll
                    find everything you need in the document mentioned
                    above.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                      > > > Is gds32.dll installed in the system directory, namely
                      > > > with a version string starting with "6.3...."?
                      > > >

                      > > No, no sign of it. There's an old one, 6.2... but no 6.3
                      > > Should this have been installed?
                      > >
                      > > During the setup it does ask if a gds32.dll should be generate for
                      > > legacy support... but it doesn't seem to generate one.
                      >
                      > I have no idea with which version number this "legacy" dll should
                      > be generated. Thomas says 6.3, I guess :-)

                      Yes, because 6.2 indicates Firebird 1.0. ;-)

                      Thomas
                    • JD FitzGerald
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                        > I have no idea with which version number this "legacy" dll should
                        > be generated. Thomas says 6.3, I guess :-)
                        >
                        > Perhaps you should download a trial of Database Workbench
                        > and see if you like the tool and if it works fine with Classic.

                        Unfortunately I've got to be able to use the delphi app, and a major
                        rewrite isn't an option, so if I can't get classic working this way I'll
                        have to stick with superserver.
                        Thanks for the help though.
                      • JD FitzGerald
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                          Thomas Steinmaurer wrote:
                          > From "README.Win32LibraryInstallation.txt" in the \doc
                          > subdirectory of your Firebird 1.5 installation.

                          Should've read that myself, doh!

                          > "During the installation process the installer checks to see if an
                          > installation of InterBase or Firebird exists. If nothing is installed
                          > it will write a patched gds32.dll into the <system> directory. If it detects
                          > that any possible version of Firebird or InterBase may already be installed
                          > it will not install the gds32.dll in the <system> directory. However
                          > you can always do so later by using the new 'instclient.exe' tool."
                          >

                          > Check out the instclient.exe command line tool. You'll
                          > find everything you need in the document mentioned
                          > above.

                          I did that and the dll was updated. Unfortunately I still get the same
                          errors as I did in the first place. Any other ideas to get classic working?

                          Cheers,
                          JD
                        • Thomas Steinmaurer
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 1, 2004
                            Hi,

                            > > "During the installation process the installer checks to see if an
                            > > installation of InterBase or Firebird exists. If nothing is installed
                            > > it will write a patched gds32.dll into the <system> directory. If it detects
                            > > that any possible version of Firebird or InterBase may already be installed
                            > > it will not install the gds32.dll in the <system> directory. However
                            > > you can always do so later by using the new 'instclient.exe' tool."
                            > >

                            > > Check out the instclient.exe command line tool. You'll
                            > > find everything you need in the document mentioned
                            > > above.
                            > >

                            > I did that and the dll was updated. Unfortunately I still get the same
                            > errors as I did in the first place. Any other ideas to get classic working?

                            I only can say that it works fine here with Firebird
                            1.5.1 Classic on Windows XP using IBOConsole, except
                            getting the server log and adding users, but I'm
                            running the 1.5.1 Classic instance on port 3040, so
                            I don't know whether this might be a problem.

                            Regarding user security. There is a pitfall with
                            Classic, even when using GSEC, because you need
                            to specify the security database using the TCP/IP
                            loopback protocol.

                            I don't have a solution, but some more questions. ;-)

                            - As there was an old gds32.dll. Did you completely
                            deinstall Firebird 1.0 before installing Firebird 1.5?

                            - Are you running Firebird on a different port than
                            3050?

                            - Are there several (different) versions of gds32.dll
                            on your computer?

                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 2, 2004
                              > - As there was an old gds32.dll. Did you completely
                              > deinstall Firebird 1.0 before installing Firebird 1.5?
                              >
                              > - Are you running Firebird on a different port than
                              > 3050?
                              >
                              > - Are there several (different) versions of gds32.dll
                              > on your computer?

                              I'd overwritten every version of gds32.dll on my machine and it still
                              didn't work. In the end I uninstalled firebird, deleted every gds32.dll
                              on the machine, manually deleted the firebird directory and deleted all
                              references to Firebird from the registry.
                              Just installed 1.5.0 and it's working! Wahoo!

                              Thanks for your help.

                              JD